trouble getting snares to engage

alcohol

• Members

I recently bought a Yamaha SD4365 Brass Snare for my studio because it was on sale at a killer price.

http://www.musicenter.com/drums/acoustic-drums/yamaha-sd4365-brass-snare.html

Trouble is, I can't get the snares to engage properly despite making sure the drum was tuned right and the snares attached right. A drummer who records frequently at my studio says he has a maple drum with the same problem and would really be appreciative of some way to fix this problem.

Anyone have this experience and have some ideas?

• Members

ive had this problem too. but on my snare, next to the switch to engage it there is a knob i can turn...i had my knob (not the lugs) too tight and had to loosen it a bit. BTW thats a nice snare you got there!

• Members

I have an adjustable throw off. I've attached the snares as tight as I can. Loosening the snares actually causes less snare engagement.

Engaging the snares causes the drum to sound like a snare drum, but not a very good snare drum because the snares are not engaging in a typical manner, they are sounding much less than is typical with a snare drum. Doesn't matter if I loosen or tighten the throw off.

• Members

I'm suspecting it's the resonant side drumhead. The drum has new heads on it from the store, but the resonant side is an Evans Genera G1, which I looked up and it's described as good as a tom batter side head. I suspect this drumhead isn't thin enough to be a good snareside head. I'm going to get a new drumhead tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

• Members

Yeah definitely change the reso head.

Also are you sure you are setting up the snares and trowoff correctly? Sounds like that might be part of your problem.

If you open the throwoff and the snares are still engaging you have them too tight. that will choke your drum.

Or are you having the opposite problem? Not enough engagement?

Archived