1st time recording my drums

ddrumbum

• Members

Well I got all my mics set-up, I am using a CAD kick mic, Snare mic and 2 tom mics and 1 overhead mic, I am running it all thru a mackie 16 channel mixer, and am recording using Adobe Audition, and have done all this myself.

I am still very new to this whole recording thing and would love some advise from my good friends at here, the recording below is what I have come up with so far, it sounds pretty darn good on my nice home theater, but my computer it sounds a little distorted, but I am liking what I am hearing, and I am sure it can be better, I have added no effects or anything(mainly cause I don't know how yet), so please give me your imput on what else I should do, take away or whatever.

Please pay no attention to the drumming, there is no effort involved, I was just playing simply to get a sound, so the drumming basically sucks.

Anyway any help/advise would be much appreciated, thanks.

BTW it takes about 15 sec before I start anything, sorry.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/19/903073/My%20drums%2C%20My%20mix.mp3

• Members

!!

That's a 15 megabyte file!

Make a little smaller one? Especially for a 56 second file :p

The mix sounds great though!! Everythings nice and clear. Tell me your mic set up exactly, especially which overhead you're using.

• Members

ddrumbum,

You've got some nice gear there. Sounded to me like the main distortion was on your cymbals (china?) and just some tweaking on the gain/volume might help you there. Your large file took me about two minutes to upload - hahaha, but it's cool.

faileddrummer,

If you have a mixer and a computer, all you'll need is a recording program. Come out of your mixers left and right 1/4" outputs (unless your mixer has a "line out" or "monitor out" feature) into your computers "line in" stereo 1/8" jack. You'll need a y-cable that has two 1/4" male mono jacks into a 1/8" male stereo jack. You can order these from online stores like drumbalaya.

A decent free source recording program to use is Audacity. They have a forum you can download the program from and get answers to any questions you may have. Good luck.

• Members

faileddrummer,

If you have a mixer and a computer, all you'll need is a recording program. Come out of your mixers left and right 1/4" outputs (unless your mixer has a "line out" or "monitor out" feature) into your computers "line in" stereo 1/8" jack. You'll need a y-cable that has two 1/4" male mono jacks into a 1/8" male stereo jack. You can order these from online stores like drumbalaya.

A decent free source recording program to use is Audacity. They have a forum you can download the program from and get answers to any questions you may have. Good luck.

Thanks! I'm using Acoustica with a crack. It does everything I need it to for the time being. But, I'm using my computer's mic right in front of my speaker, aimed at my snare, with the P.A.'s mic by my bass drum and it comes out sounds like {censored}.

• Members

I'm hearing distortion on the kick drum; it kicks in (no pun intended) right when you start the double-kick stuff.

IMHO, you have too much kick in the mix. Not only in volume, but in EQ. There's a little too much low end...a bass guitar will have a very difficult time fitting in with that mix.

Would also be nice to hear a slightly more spread out stereo image, too.

• Members

I'm hearing distortion on the kick drum; it kicks in (no pun intended) right when you start the double-kick stuff.

IMHO, you have too much kick in the mix. Not only in volume, but in EQ. There's a little too much low end...a bass guitar will have a very difficult time fitting in with that mix.

Would also be nice to hear a slightly more spread out stereo image, too.

Thank you to everone, I appreciate ALL your imput.

I have since turned down the bass and gain on my kick, and experimented a little with panning 10" tom slightly left, 12' center and my 14" slightly right to enhance a more stereo feel and sound, I am going to record a new track today, probably with video, so I will post it, so I can get more wonderful feedback.

Thanks again guys/gals

Archived