Yet more drumhead Q's (I know, I know...)

qwertyMan

• Members

Well, yes I have been searching, but I still have yet to find some good answers.

Well, I will be replacing my heads soon, because I find the combination of Coated Emperors and the stock reso's to be fairly dead.

I have been considering:

• Coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors

• Coated G1's over clear G1's

• Clear EC1's over clear G1's (or Resonant Glass'?)

• Coated EC1's over clear G1's (or Resonant Glass'?)
  • Clear G2's over Clear G1's

• Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors

Will using the Clear EC1's give me a good amount of overtones despite the edge control ring? What Bottom heads should I use with these? On the Evans website it says that using the Resonant Glass heads will shorten the sustain. What about the Coated EC1's?

What are your opinions on the Coated Ambassadors vs the Coated G1's? I know Evans coating lasts longer...

How about the G2's over G1's? Will it give me a good amount of resonance but the added durability of a 2 ply head? How does it compare to the Clear Emp.s over Clear Amb.s?

I know, I know, these are a lot of questions, and I would be very grateful if all of you tried to answer all my questions, instead of everyone answering the same question. Please compare combinations. :thu:

I know this is a lot to ask, and I can't tell all of you how glad I am for all you guys answering my previous questions.

• Members
Well, yes I have been searching, but I still have yet to find some good answers.

Well, I will be replacing my heads soon, because I find the combination of Coated Emperors and the stock reso's to be fairly dead.

I have been considering:

I went w/ the EC2's over the glass reso's and really like them.:thu: Did everything but the Snare and kick. I think the sustains fine. I actually use moon gels w/ them. I was using Hydraulics w/ Glass reso's. I'm not impressed w/ the Hydraulics. I can't tell you much about the others. My snare is a Dominion stock clear reso, and I put on an Aquarian Coated for the batter. I just posted some new shots on the "Pic's " thread and it shows pretty much everything and has my current equipment list. Marko

• Members

Cool!

Well, I'm pretty sure I want to go with the EC1's versus the EC2's, but not versus all the other heads, but I'm always open to things like this.

I always thought I would be going with 2-ply until today, at the Berklee 5-week camp program I'm in. I was taking my once-a-week private lesson, and there were two kits. A very charming Gretsch with a small funny sounding bass drum, and a very high end Sonor. I played the Sonor, and the drums sounded SO pure!! They were Coated Ambassadors, but I'm not sure what resos. Probably Clear Amb.s but I'm not sure. Barely any overtones whatsoever. This, of course, could just be the high end drums :p.

But now, I am really considering 1-ply drum heads.

• Members

I played the Sonor, and the drums sounded SO pure!! They were Coated Ambassadors, but I'm not sure what resos. Probably Clear Amb.s but I'm not sure. Barely any overtones whatsoever.

More likely, high-end tuning as well. :D

I use coated ambs because I find they work with a lot of different styles of music. Tuned up well they are quite lively but without ugly overtones.

If you had the money and the patience, the thing to do would be to try both the coated amb and the EC1 on a single drum, say a 12". Use a single ply reso, clear amb or G1. See what you like best before you lay out a lot of money for a whole set. You might even discover you prefer 2-ply heads after all, too.

• Members

When I first bought my kit it had G2's over G1 for resos liked that combo a lot. Good sustain without nasty overtones and you could tune them to a wide range. I wanted to go with a head that had a faster decay so I started using pinstripes. Used these for about two years. Now switched to EC2's over clear ambassadors. I like this combo the best so far. Mild sustain no overtones. I haven't finished finding the tuning nitch yet but I like what I'm hearing so far.

• Members

Well, right now I'm leaning to Coated G1's over Clear G1's. Just because I prefer Evans for consistency, and their coating lasts longer ;)

I think that these heads will be the most versatile, and especially work well for funk/fusion :thu:

Archived