Latest Gretsch Catalina Club Mod Shell Pack

Kirk Markarian

• Members

Hey, got a kit from GC last night - it's a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod kit - Black with a double white stripe, white rims, white lugs, 6 lugs on the floating tom (instead of 5 as on the previous kits), 12" x 8" mounted tom, 16" x 16" floor tom and 10 lugs on a 24" x 20" bass drum!!!

I've been scouring the net for any info on this kit that I bought, just out of curiosity. Does anybody know about it here?

Personal Review:

Last night I also happened to use it on a gig at a bar/venue on the south side of Chicago.

Using the stock heads, I was able to get a fine sound out of it. I've read a lot of reviews against the Evans G1 Genera heads that come with it. So far, I like the way they sound. I was getting some Williams/Chambers sounds out of them. Nice crack, a lot of ring from the mounted tom (I love toms that ring). The floor tom was full, round and also rang nicely.

The bass drum - sounds HUGE. It is huge. It's similar to a marching band bass drum. It's heavy to lift. I like the way it sounds currently, but I do think I will do some work on it's sound. That drum might need a different head. Or maybe 1/2 of the dampening that I have in there (one pillow). I'm gonna try a towel.

So, anyway, yeah, the kit is amazing. I didn't use the snare because I have a Yamaha copper snare that is my workhorse. I felt that the included snare, while able to hurt my nuts with the pressure from the shell, needs at least a new head and some time spent tuning it to my taste. It's a stock snare. It looks awesome, sounds "ok". Not bad, just not as good as my copper snare.

For a kit made of mahagony, I was truly impressed. It had the "crack" of birch and the "warmth" of maple. Not sure which kind of mahagony they use, but it is not a reddish color. The shells are also finished on the inside of the drums, which is probably why they have the birch "attack" sound.

In conclusion, I am happy with my purchase. This totally kicks my old HipGig Jr.'s ass.

• Members

So you really think the 24x20 kick on your club mod kicks the 16x16 Manu Katche's (Hip gig Jr's)kick drum"s booty??? -just clownin':lol: Dude... 86 the pillow in your bass drum and slap on an EMAD. You'll be shattering windows bro!:badump: I use the Evans G1's on all my toms (birch shells) with fabulous results! Every new kit requires that "tweak in period" Gretsch makes a fine set of kettles.. my very first set up back in 1970 was a Gretsch 1960's "round badge bebop kit with an 18" kick. Sure wish I had kept those. Anyway, enjoy the new kit and thanks for the review. I had been considering Gretsch's Catalina ash shelly for a next purchase. Peace:thu:

• Members

Yeah, it's a wonderful kit. I guess I'll have to try the EMAD's. :D

I've had a few kits in my span of playing (since 1989/90), and I've been noticing that all these really expensive kits weren't sounding how I'd imagined they would sound. A lot really sounded very poor. It could have been the tuning, it could have been the shell material.

So, about 5 years ago, I stumbled across the HipGig Jr. at a local drum shop, and for the price I paid (about $450), I couldn't believe my ears! I popped some fiberskyns on them and they rocked as a jazzy/punk kit. I had a lot of fun playing them, but recently, the music I've been playing has required me to get a bigger sound, and the HipGig, no matter how I played them, just couldn't cut the mustard.

I'm a big believer of NOT hitting the drums as hard as I can just to get a big sound. I've been trained to maximise my stroke. Bigger drums fixed my problem. Now I can hit efficiently and get a louder sound. I played a smaller Catalina Club Mod (the 20 x 20 bass drum), and it was awesome.

I got an answer from Gretsch, as I emailed them about the one I bought. It's a Guitar Center Exclusive, and that's why there is no info on it so far. Brand new just for GC! I feel like the cool kid with the newest toy.

I also like the look of the catalina ash kits - although I am a fan of marine pearl finishes. So if I need a kit like that, it's either the Club Jazz or the higher-end Gretsch kits.

• Members

Alot of the problem with inferior drum sounds can be attributed to..you said it., TUNING! I have been at this drumming thang for 30plus years and It can take me a month of Sundays to ear tune a kit. I found a solution to be..drum roll please..DrumDial:badump: Anyway bro, that's a whole nother box a frogs.

Post some pics of your kit if you can.. I'm interested!:D

• Members

Yeah, it's a wonderful kit. I guess I'll have to try the EMAD's.
:D

I second this. For a long time, I was having trouble with my kick sounding kinda weird. Too much attack, not enough low end. Then I switched to an EMAD and woah! Man, I'm never looking back. Evans is the way to go.

• Members

I use a Catalina Club kit, and I love it.

But I could not like the snare, no matter how I tuned it or what heads I used, or how tight or loose the snares were--I just never warmed up to it.

I keep the snare in case I ever (heaven forbid) need to sell the kit, but I don't ever play it. I think I took the new heads and snares off of it to use on another drum.

• Members

i was gonna buy same kit, black on red but i get bored with 4 pieces and gretsch doesnt make add ons but congrats

Hey I actually emailed gretsch a couple weeks ago and they gave me the codes for the black on red add-ons (10x7 and 14x12) Here they are if you want them:

CC-1214F-BRGC GRE CAT CLB MOD 12X14 FT

CC-0710T-BRGC GRE CAT CLB MOD 7X10 TT

You can email www.westcoastdrums.com about ordering them, i'm doing the same. The prices are $200 for the Floor and $150 for the tom.

• Members

Working on some pics - My bass player shot some photos the other day at a show, and if I nag him enough, I suppose I'll get some pics!

I have changed my opinion of the stock heads. Got an EMAD 1 Coated yesterday, popped it on before the show, and it sounded way better.

After the show, I set my kit up at my practice spot, because leaving shit in the car will get it stolen, and then I took a good listen to the tom heads. Evans G1 Genera's are nice heads, but I noticed a lack of distinction between strokes. If I wanted to play quietly, as I often to crescendos when I play, the heads caused the notes to become fuzzy. The only way to remedy this was to hit harder. I don't play "hard" all the time. I am a very dynamic player, so I go from pianissimo to forte. I need the pianissimo notes to be equally distinct. It's not a problem with my playing, I've used different heads and gotten the results I wanted. So I am looking at Fiberskyns, because they still resonate, and they are a little nostalgic. I've rocked Fiberskyns for the past 4 years, and they sound wonderful.

I've noticed a lot of people saying they deaden the sound, and that's true, to a small extent, they dull out the resonance, but not as much as dual-layer heads, and I am able to avoid a plastic sound with the Fiberskyns. I am not a huge fan of coated ambassadors, and I am unwilling to try Evans or Aquarian for heads that I strike with a stick. I'm sold on Remo's. :D

• Members

I use a Fiberskyn for my kick reso, but that was mostly for looks since I mic the batter head anyway or trigger. Never thought about using 'em on the other drums. I'm using EC1 heads and I still don't think they're what I'm looking for... or I'm tuning them too low, one of the two. EMAD2 on the kick with a Fiberskyn reso sounds huge though!

• Members

Thank You!

The cymbals are Zildjian K Custom Special Dry's.

21" Ride

18" Crash

13" Hats

Believe it or not, they are not actually dirty. They are just unfinished. But I do splash them with all kinds of corrosive chemicals to give them a unique look. The darker areas are where I put on different chemicals, such as ammonia. Doesn't affect the sound in the least. Or hurt them. It just adds a patina.

• Members

I don't know how it is for others, but I have no problem making distinctive dynamic changes with those heads. I prefer them to coated heads, because the coating doesn't lift up, and there are more timbral changes with the fiberskyns. I can hit the head in different places and it sounds different. Only a little bit, though. Just enough for me to notice.

The amount of practice one does will make a difference in how a head responds to one's stroke. I have no problem being dynamic on any head, because I love to play drums on any surface. Softer surfaces will make you work harder to be more dynamic and steady. A lot of guys who are using fiberskyns and not having a good response are due to them not having practiced enough. :D Plus, it just might not be their "sound". I wanted a "skin-head" sound. These heads provide it for me. The Remo Renaissance are also similar in sound, without the striation pattern.

Head response depends on the player, how well they play, how dynamic they are. I have no problems with them. You should try one out at a local drum shop. Decide for yourself.

Archived