White Stripes Cancel Tour...Thank God!

turdadactyl

• Members

What love? What does love have to do with anything? The whole purpose of the thread was that the author was relieved that The White Stripes are not on tour.

Nobody made fun of anxiety. But as posted above, a drummer who has suffered with anxiety even has no qualms saying that Meg White is being a coward. As for myself, I said that nobody should be given special treatment because they are anxious. And just because everybody is doing something, doesn't mean that it's good, or right. Much like listening to the White Stripes. Who are terrible. Who live on {censored}ty island.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

C'mon everyone... We all know that talent has absolutely nothing to do with success in music. It's all about marketing and airplay. Someone thought enough of the Stripes to spend the $$ to ram them down everyone's throats. Personally, I can't stand the band at all. Jack's voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and the songs just don't move me. It's understandable that musicians who have spent a lifetime on their craft would be insulted by Meg White's success. She may be a nice person, but she is no "drummer".
No comparison to any other "famous" drummer will hold water except maybe Karen Carpenter.
For the record, all Kiss' drummers have been told to do a "tribal" style solo by Gene/Paul. Peter was not a great technician, but he was also more of a jazz drummer than hard rocker. Oh, and he was {censored}faced for most of his career!

• Members

I think Meg White is cool. What she does for White Stripes, whatever you want to call it, works. I think the stuff she plays sounds cool in the context of that duet. White Stripes is not about good music, it's about raw energy and they make it come across and a lot of people like it. If you don't, don't listen to it. As it seems I have to continually tell my wife and daughter when I listen to John Coltrane or Weather Report or Billy Cobham and they say "that sucks". Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good.

Besides, Paul McCartney can't read music. As a serious musician who practices and studies and works at my craft, how could I take seriously respect someone who can't even be bothered to learn to read music?

Also because she's made it and doesn't practice, I don't care. I've given up on being a rock star a long long long time ago. Probably before some of you were born! Besides, it's not about who does the best music. It's a business. What can they sell the best? Never confuse the two ...

• Members

Besides, Paul McCartney can't read music. As a serious musician who practices and studies and works at my craft, how could I take seriously respect someone who can't even be bothered to learn to read music?

Huh? Paul can't read? No way man , I'm not gonna belive that at all! No way man. Prove it or lose all credibility.
But I'm w/ you on the other stuff.

Kirk , any chance your really a closeted Stripes fan? Dig deep man and face the truth. Or are you just pissed that a {censored}tier drummer than you is soooo famous?

• Members
Kirk , any chance your really a closeted Stripes fan? Dig deep man and face the truth. Or are you just pissed that a {censored}tier drummer than you is soooo famous?

Hahahahaha :D Nah, I really don't like the White Stripes, and I am not jealous of them. I have just continued the argument for the sake of my laughter. I'm really on the "I don't care" wagon as far as this goes. I really don't appreciate what passes for music today. Even some of the stuff I play, I play because it's to help a project along, not because I like it.

I'm glad somebody had the balls to call me on it. :)

That's the best call out ever.

• Members

I find it laughable when, ahem "musicians" criticize the playing of others. Meg White fits in her situation perfectly. A technical drummer would probably make a negative difference to that kind of music. To bash her because she is not good is silly. Music is art, and it comes in many forms. Jackson Pollack made paintings that look like my toilet boil after mexican food, but it is still art to some people.

I never ask musicians for opinions on music, simply because many of them can't listen to the music simply for the appreciation of the music. Nothing worse than some doosh telling me that chord progression doesn't work, or the drumbeat is too simplistic.

I love Meg's playing for what it is... and yes, Peter Criss does suck ;)

• Members

{censored}. I like Jack White's playing. This is the same kind of crap "serious musicians" were slinging at the Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash, 999, and a slew of other punk/new wave bands that couldn't play their instruments at a level that satisfied their rarified musical sensibilities back in the 70's. Nothing changes. That attitude was elitest {censored} back then and it still stinks today. I like the White Stripes and The Who and The Sex Pistols and The Beatles and Zep and The Stooges and Sparks and The Stones and ELP and The Monkees and Black Oak and Elvis and Jerry Lee and the Allman Brothers etc....{censored} the level of musicianship - do i like the song ? That's my criteria. Period.

• Members
ATTENTION FELLOW DRUMMERS: The Secret to Success has been revealed, and it's very simple... don't practice, don't hone your craft, don't progress... be
deliberately
crappy and you too can achieve international fame and fortune!!

this concept makes me want to vomit
:rolleyes:

Oh, and for the record, I've been in therapy for over a year now for anxiety and depression and yet, I still can go play a show in some random bar... I think I might even be able to survive playing to a few thousand people... gimme a damned break

1. 'Deliberately crappy' and 'intentionally unrefined' are completely different concepts. Please don't put words in my mouth then chastize me for them. I happen to think the synthesis of Jack and Meg white is GOOD MUSIC whether it's refined or not. That's my opinion, just like your opinion that they don't. Grow up.

2. If you've suffered from anxiety disorders as you claim to have, and as I have, you know that it's not easy to confront the issues that create the most extreme forms of anxiety. Maybe the live shows aren't what {censored} her up man... maybe it's the constant expectation of a record label and marketing firm expecting her to champion a product 22 hours a day. It's a breakneck pace being on tour and a LOT of good musicians can't handle it. I'd expect you, of all people, to be sympathetic.

have at it whores!

• Members

this is what you are all doing ------> :deadhorse:

The white stripes are what they are, meg white plays what she plays. If you like em, buy their album, go see em, whatever. If you don't like em, don't buy it. Simple. End of discussion, turn off your internal dialogue now. There is nothing more to say on the matter.

• Members

You know, if you want great songs, you need 3 things pretty much:

1.skill
2.feel
3.some sort of vision

Players who just mindlessly squeeze out as many notes as possible miss the point. Same with those who feel their "take" is unique when they just play simple {censored} nonstop. Of course, having a mind like Lennon's or Steve Harris' helps too.

You can't really talk {censored} about Satriani or Rush. Sure, you might not dig their style, but you gotta respect them.

Meg White's just a lucky piece of {censored}. Poison would walk all over the White Stripes.

Sure the music industry is bull{censored}. It's virtually been attempting suicide.

But, art has to have some value. The truth of the matter are there are too many dumb people who fall for the same tricks and when they become depressed or fail, they blame it on someone else.

That's the last time I drink before posting.

• Members
this is what you are all doing ------>
:deadhorse:

The white stripes are what they are, meg white plays what she plays. If you like em, buy their album, go see em, whatever. If you don't like em, don't buy it. Simple. End of discussion, turn off your internal dialogue now. There is nothing more to say on the matter.

Nope, there isn't. But we're still immature people sometimes and just like repeating things like "Meg White sucks." What can I say? :)

Sometimes I just like to say "poop" too.

• Members
1. 'Deliberately crappy' and 'intentionally unrefined' are completely different concepts. Please don't put words in my mouth then chastize me for them. I happen to think the synthesis of Jack and Meg white is GOOD MUSIC whether it's refined or not. That's my opinion, just like your opinion that they don't. Grow up.

2. If you've suffered from anxiety disorders as you claim to have, and as I have, you know that it's not easy to confront the issues that create the most extreme forms of anxiety. Maybe the live shows aren't what {censored} her up man... maybe it's the constant expectation of a record label and marketing firm expecting her to champion a product 22 hours a day. It's a breakneck pace being on tour and a LOT of good musicians can't handle it. I'd expect you, of all people, to be sympathetic.

have at it whores!

If you would have said "intentionally unrefined" it would be one thing... but your exact phrase was:

"Meg's lack of skill is an intentional and integral part of their music"

note the words "lack of skill" and "intentional", these two things together, IMHO, equal "deliberately crappy"... do not confuse lack of skill with any sense of refinement, including the lack thereof.

And as to the anxiety issue, if Ms White is seeing any kind of quality therapist/counselor/shrink, she'll be taught the same thing I was: you CANNOT let your anxiety control your life or your lifestyle.

The only way to move past an obstacle is by overcoming it.

Hell man, I went and did a gig in a bar 2 days after my wife threatened to leave me and take my kids with her... ya know what, I survived. I'll put that anxiety up against anything a damned record company could throw at me, and Ms White's woes will seem as nothing.

Strength byond strength!

Back OT for a sec... Meg does have some rather nice funbags :thu:

I'm now done with this discussion, cuz anything else I throw in will probably become rather nasty and mean-spirited, and I'm gonna try to not ruin my fairly good day be doing so.

• Members

haha i can't believe you nerds. i could give a {censored} less how basic meg whites playing style is... the white stripes rock, and that's what their music is all about. too many musicians get wrapped up in perfecting technique but have no sense of anything musical. i'm a guitar player... turned drummer, and yeah, I'll practice my rudiments and scales for guitar. But sometimes I just need to beat the {censored} out of my drums and thats all that matters. If you guys think that you playing 6000 paradiddles at 300 bpm makes you a better drummer, well then, you're probably right. but how hard are you rockin when it comes to the stage? or are you just playin a 6 minute drum solo with as many notes as possible?

i can appreciate the music of any drummer/band as long as they get across the point they need to... whether it's allman brothers or pink floyd or phish or white stripes or whatever. you guys need to stop being so critical. are you the types of people who go to a show and point out everytime a musician {censored}s up, while everyone else is just trying to enjoy the music and not have to listen to you think you know everything?

• Members

I love how everyone bitches about the state of the music industry , which is overwhelmed by Ken & Barbie types, and lip syncing dancers sponsored by Walt Disney , then you turn and bash the Stripes who are in my opinion a breath of fresh air compared to the over-produced crap being turned out by just about every FM station in the country.
So what , Meg's not a really good drummer..ok she's not even a good drummer..Did she ever claim to be?
Where does all this hatred come from?.......Perhaps the sour grapes T Hofmann mentioned earlier??? Boo Hoo , Meg Whites is famous and I'm not Boo friggin' Hoo.
Now you guys just back off or I'm gonna have to bust out a bad Chris Crocker imitation...oh {censored} here it comes....AND HOW F#CKING DARE ANYONE OUT THERE MAKE FUN OF MEG WHITE , AFTER ALL SHE'S BEEN THROUGH...LEAVE MEG WHITE ALONE!

And because of your appreciation of my balls Kirk , remember what they say about people in glass houses , your not exactly sexiest man of the year material.

Archived