Re-Using Drum Heads?

qwertyMan

• Members

As of now, on all my toms (8, 10, 12, 14) I have on Remo Coated Emperors (except on the 8"). My set came with clear G2's, and I am considering putting them back on, because I want a more clear, open tone from my toms. The heads are in playable condition (no dents or cuts).

My question is:

Is it possible to re-use a drumhead that is in good condition? Or is the hoop screwed up because it has already been seated on a drum?

Also, has anyone ever done this before with success?

• Members

Ah, by hoop, I meant the Drumhead's hoop. I can't see my die-cast hoops being bent by an Evans G2
:lol:

That's what I meant too.

If your drumhead hoop is being messed up because it's being put on a bearing edge and pressed down upon with a die-cast hoop, then there's something wrong. Logically, it makes no sense.

If you step on a drumhead hoop, yes, you can bend it. If you apply pressure, yes, you can bend it, but the hoops are pretty strong.

You can reuse heads. :thu:

• Members

Thanks, I'm going to put them on tomorrow when I have time.

And I don't think I really meant "bend." I meant more (sorry I should have specified...) that the glue in the hoop might be stretched out or screwed up because it was tensioned on a drum.

Even as I type this now, I realize that what I'm saying just sounds dumb. Once I get the heads back on, I guess I'll post in this thread again and tell you all how they sound (if you're interested).

• Members

Thanks, I'm going to put them on tomorrow when I have time.

And I don't think I really meant "bend." I meant more (sorry I should have specified...) that the glue in the hoop might be stretched out or screwed up because it was tensioned on a drum.

Even as I type this now, I realize that what I'm saying just sounds dumb. Once I get the heads back on, I guess I'll post in this thread again and tell you all how they sound (if you're interested).

Yeah, what you said here makes more sense, and no, it's not dumb. How are you gonna learn if not by experience? :thu:

Archived