The business end...

WhiplashBand

• Members

Although, if you are starving, I'm sure in Texas you could start a Texas Blues / metal Band and fit in with the yokels - damn- I mean locals.

One of the best was from Texas. Good old Pantera. Love them but they died in a tragic murder in Columbus, OH a few years ago when Dime was shot in the head by some freakin nut. Sorry to go OT. Another of my favorite bands and guitar players. RIP Dime!!

• Members

Indeed it is true, around June/July of next year we're packin up and moving to Texas... away from the BS that surrounds me here LOL

I lived in Dallas for my whole life until 3 years ago. When you get there in June/July get ready to sweat. It gets hot as $hit there from early June to mid October. It's a fine place to live, but very hot. That's one of the reasons I was glad to get out of there. Just warning you ...

There are a lot of good things about Texas though. Have fun!

Good luck.

• Members

I think the band fund is a good idea, but it can definately be a headache. There had ben times when we thought the guy who held the account was skimming a little, he finally told ud that yeah he had, because he was doing most of the work, bookings, promotions, etc. It was true. We all agreed that it was fair and that we trusted him. It was open to the rest of us, if we had an expense we would get re-imbursed, etc.

We would divy up the earnings from the night, the guy who lugs the monster PA took an extra cut for labor alone, and we would all agree on a decent take, then add the rest to the account. Once the account had built up a little bit, we bought a lighting system, Mackie head, and paied for website development and recorded a cd. Problem is that this band is now kind of defunct, and the money is still in the "Band Fund". We all still play music with eachother, except the bass player.

It will be a headache for you, but you deserve a cut. Also, you should really think about starting an LLC (Limited Liabilty Company) for your band. We did some big shows, taking $1K+ from the venue, and had to fill out 1099's each time. But since we were just a bunch of jamokes, we "took turns" doing it. So a few of us got taxed on $1k for that year, even though it was split between everyone, and not everyone got a "turn". You could get a checkbook, pay for all your stuff with it, keep detailed records, etc.

• Members

Delegate duties!

I agree.

Wanting to get paid more because you do more may or may not fly with the other guys.

Neil Peart once said; "You can split the money up equally or you can fight". I really think that's usually what it comes down to.

If you feel you're doing too much, then do less and let the others do more.

• Members

I lived in Dallas for my whole life until 3 years ago. When you get there in June/July get ready to sweat. It gets hot as $hit there from early June to mid October. It's a fine place to live, but very hot. That's one of the reasons I was glad to get out of there. Just warning you ...

There are a lot of good things about Texas though. Have fun!

Good luck.

I grew up in Okla. City (200 miles north of Dallas) I agree, it will get HOT! But also during the winter it will get cold and Windy! Like bite your nose off windy. Also, the plains do get a fair amount of snow (which usually has drifts from the wind) But the best is the ice, either freezing rain or wet roads freeze overnight. But Texas is nice, has no state income tax, attracts big concerts and events. Dallas has the biggest state fair you will ever see! Has a Six Flags nearby.... anyway I'm going off topic.

Yes, say something to the other guys. Start off easy like "I started doing all this, thinking it wouldn't be that much or too hard....I was thinking either I could get a little more to cover costs or we could start divying up promotion chores or what do you guys think?..." But I would at least say and show the others what you are doing, they have to know and if maybe they don't, then they would now know and "Knowing is half the battle....G.I. Joe!!......" :idea:

• Members

Yes, say something to the other guys. Start off easy like "I started doing all this, thinking it wouldn't be that much or too hard....I was thinking either I could get a little more to cover costs or we could start divying up promotion chores or what do you guys think?..." But I would at least say and show the others what you are doing, they have to know and if maybe they don't, then they would now know and "Knowing is half the battle....G.I. Joe!!......"
:idea:

And I would also add in... "look this stuff has to be done and why. I'm not doing it for the hell of it, this is how we are surviving." That way it puts you in the position of whether it's me or somebody else, this has to get done, Share the load or give me the funds ans I will continue as I have been. I just can't afford to do it all ay more...How can "we" work this problem out the best all the way around...:thu:

• Members

Personally, I think the other band members are taking advantage of you.....and YOU'RE allowing it to happen. Tell them to hire an agent to do what you do and see how fast they give you a better cut.

Ironically, I did once mention that we should get an agent or a manager to handle all this stuff because I was getting a little tired of doing it all. The reason brought up most often why not to get one was that we'd have to pay him out of "our" money we get at the gigs... oy

As you can see, I'm battling an uphill battle for the most part.

Some people have mentioned trying to delegate out the duties. Believe me, the though has passed my mind many times, though there's a few reasons why this hasn't happened.

Of the 4 other guys in the band:

1 has no computer/access to the internet at all

1 only has dial-up for a connection, so sending out flyers/files to clubs is out for him

1 has a computer and no clue how anything works on the web, so he relies on his kids to show him things... oy

1 has a computer, and a little more web know-how, but has no clue how the business end of things runs

3 have never done booking before

1 has done booking, but only with 2 bars, and they never made out well on any of his deals.

all 4 work day jobs with no freedom to get any of the running around done (visiting clubs/printing and delivering flyers/etc)

1 is nearly crispy he's so burnt out

3 don't have the "gift of gab" to talk to club owners into booking us (sadly, one of thse guys is the singer)

I won't go on, but suffice it to say, if I wasn't the one doing it... it would never get done

{censored}

• Members

Problem is changing how the pay gets divided after a long time of doing it the way you are. I think you need to save receipts and show evidence of cost of promoting the band. Printer paper and ink isn't free or that cheap, cell phone costs add up.

But you have to tread easy, they've been accepting the fruits of your labors for a while for free ;>( My band almost broke up over my demanding gas money when I was hauling all the band in my 11mpg (towing) SUV and all the band gear with PA & lights in my 10x6x6 trailer. Getting to the gig and home was WORK! End result, now we take a few vehicles, the bassist shows up in his econobox, the guitarist & keys comes in a semi-loaded Astrovan, & I use my smaller 15mpg (towing) SUV with a packed 8.5x4x4 trailer.

Boomerweps

• Members

if you start delegating duties, will they be done to the standards that you have set? Doesn't sound like it.

Sounds more like YOU are the guy for the job, and that job pays a little more. If you are starting to "make it" is it feasible and cost effective to have a manager?

Roll a fatty, and have 'em all gather round for a pow-wow

• Members

I won't go on, but suffice it to say, if I wasn't the one doing it... it would never get done

I had a feeling you might say that.

There was a time when you had to do these things the first time too, and you learned. They can learn to do them as well. None of this is rocket science.

Sit down, list what needs to be done and delegate responsibilities. If someone does not know how to open an an email program and send out a mailer, teach them. It's not hard to do. You can do it as easily on dial up as on broadband.

If it's something that only you can do, then that will be your share of the load, but the other guys will also have tasks that they are responsible for.

If you are the 'caretaker' type and can't let anyone wipe their own nose or cut their own meat, then be prepared to continue doing all of the work for the duration of your band. You're gonna have to let some of it go and get comfortable with that idea that they might not be as good at it as you are to begin with, or they may do it differently from the way you do it. That's okay.

Personally, I wouldn't try for a higher percentage as I think it would create problems over time. The other guys need to take ownership in the band too, otherwise it's really just your project and they just show up and play when you tell them too. That's not much of a band.

• Members

In my first paying band, we took 10% of the top and put that in a band fund. This was pre useable internet time. We used it for printing up flyers and t-shirts. Even if you don't get paid for your labor, you should get reimbursed your out of pocket expenses, including gas making the rounds of venues promoting the band.

Boomerweps

Archived