Good intermediate/semipro kits?

BoomRecRoom

• Members

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hi and that I've enjoyed reading the comments and advice everyone is posting.

Currently we own Tama Swingstars as the family drum kit (my son and I both play and the daughter's starting too). We want to upgrade to the next level.

Were interested in the following...

Pearl Vision VLX (birch/basswood) $900

Pearl Export Customs(maple) $950 shells

Premier Cabria XPK(maple) $850

Taye Tour Pro (birch/basswood...These are the only ones I've played to date and they sounded amazing) $1025

Mapex M Birch $1030 Pro M (maple) $1399

Yamaha Stage Custom (birch/basswood) $799 Tour Custom (maple) $1500

Not sure which way to go, any comments or opinions would be helpful

• Members

Search for lots of previous threads on this topic. I have Pro Ms and they are GREAT - other drummers sitting in at my gigs have been impressed. Great, classy wraps. Highly recommended. I've seen the VLXs at Guitar Center and they look solid. The Export Customs don't seem quite as nice from a quick inspection.

All of those mentioned should be pretty good.

• Members

If you really mean semipro in the sense of a pro sounding kit for not quite the pro pricetag, then check out the Gretsch Renown Maples.

I got a shell pack with 7x8, 8x10, 9x12, and 14x14 toms, and a 5x14 snare and a 22x18 bass drum for around $1300.

And if you already have pretty good hardware and good cymbals, you're all set!

• Members

The Mapex Pro M's seem to have a really good rep from what I've read on this forum in the past. These are at the upper end of what I want to spend, still might go for it though. The Gretsch Renown's ,with hardware, would cost around $1500 shells and $300 or so for hardware. A few extra OT shifts for sure. I'm weaning out the Export Customs and leaning towards the Pearl Vision VLX's as the kit at the top of my list so far. Thanks for the input.

• Members

Pearl Vision VLX (birch/basswood) $900

Pearl Export Customs(maple) $950 shells

Premier Cabria XPK(maple) $850

Taye Tour Pro (birch/basswood...These are the only ones I've played to date and they sounded amazing) $1025

Mapex M Birch $1030 Pro M (maple) $1399

Yamaha Stage Custom (birch/basswood) $799 Tour Custom (maple) $1500

Out of the ones you listed, I would pick Export Customs, Tour Pro, M Birch, or Tour Customs.

But you should REALLY consider these:

Pacific X7

Gretsch Catalina Maple

Gretsch Catalina Ash

I would easily pick one of those three over any that you listed, the value of those sets are insane.

• Members

I know a-lot of Pro's who play Good intermediate instruments....they may have high-end intruments for the big upscale gigs but most of the time they play Good intermediate instruments. I also know Pro's who will only play the best instruments they can get their hands on. Pro line or intermediate line or student line are just buzz words to give you some idea of a price range and a quality level that's all. I know great players who play instruments made in China,Japan,korea,mexico,Tiawan etc. I also know players who will play only USA made instruments. It's a personal thing you know.:blah:

• Members

My son and I play the Export Customs, upgraded with optimounts and superhoops. In that configuration they are competitive with anything on your list. (They are the same shells as the older SMX; with the upgrades they are essentially the same drums for significantly less money.)

Disappointing choice of finishes, though.

Lots of good drums in this price range, you'll do fine. :thu:

• Members

Check out Ddrum. I just got a Dominion all maple set and it sounds amazing and looks good too. I also have a Tama Rockstar Custom that goes on the road with me and the ddrum sounds a lot better. The set I bought only cost me about 800 without hardware.

• Members

Out of the ones you listed, I would pick Export Customs, Tour Pro, M Birch, or Tour Customs.

But you should REALLY consider these:

I would easily pick one of those three over any that you listed, the value of those sets are insane.

I have a soft spot for Yamaha drums, because I played a set for about 5 years, but now that I am a Gretsch owner, I will have to say I am partial to Gretsch. Nice hardware, great sound, affordable, and great finishes/wraps. I am also really digging the look of the Pacifics and some of the ddrum lines. I am unsure of the sound, but they probably sound reasonably good. I haven't found a drum that I cannot make sound good in the intermediate/semi-pro lines yet.

• Members

I checked out Sonor 2007 in one shop and the sales guy said they are the best bang for the buck in the store. Haven't heard too much about them though. Can't find ddrum's in the city.

Played a used Gretsch Catalina Birch but it was 12,13,14,16 toms and a 22" kick for $800. They were in excelent shape but poorly tuned and the snare had an annoying vibrating buzz that turned me off.

I'm real tempted to splurge on th Mapex Pro M's or maybe even the Gretsch Renowns. The Taye Tour Pro (which sounded great) and the Pearl Vision VLX (haven't heard yet) are more in the range I'd like to spend and they have the fusion sizes I like with a 20" kick. If I go cheaper now will I only want to upgrade again in a few years? This is tough and confussing but also kind of fun.

• Members

I had the same suspicions about ddrum when I first saw their lower end lines and just looked over them without a second thought. Then I was in a store one day and it had a higher end model, the Dominion Pocket Ash kit. I started playing it and was shocked at how good the drums sounded. The set I bought has a 20x20 kick and it produces a better sound (with factory heads) than my Tama 22x18 with an emad head on it. The drums are all maple and the hardware on the drums I got is top notch. I bought a shell pack because I am partial to Gibraltar stands. Overall, I am more than happy with my ddrum kit, however I am still skeptical of their lower end lines.

• Members

I had the same suspicions about ddrum when I first saw their lower end lines and just looked over them without a second thought. Then I was in a store one day and it had a higher end model, the
Dominion Pocket Ash kit
. I started playing it and was shocked at how good the drums sounded. The set I bought has a 20x20 kick and it produces a better sound (with factory heads) than my Tama 22x18 with an emad head on it.
The drums are all maple
and the hardware on the drums I got is top notch. I bought a shell pack because I am partial to Gibraltar stands. Overall, I am more than happy with my ddrum kit, however I am still skeptical of their lower end lines.

The Dominion Ash is all Ash...not maple

But if you were talking about you're Tama now I feel dumb lol

• Members

My bad. I should have been more clear. The Dominion series comes in both ash and maple. The one I played in the store was ash. I bought my kit on ebay thinking it was an ash kit (as the ad says), but the guy sent me a maple kit. Both sound really good and I think I got more than my money's worth.

Archived