Booking A Tour

defense

• Members

My band is planning on going on a 3 day (Very Mini Tour) in April. We are from Michigan so it will go Michigan, Ohio, than Indiana although that isn't the tour we think we will have problems with. This summer we would also like to go on tour a couple times. We plan on heading out for about a week each time. The first one we would like to leave sometime in the middle of June and be out for a week. Than head out for the second one in the beginning of August for about a week and a half. We are planning on staying on the Eastern U.S. and only going about as south as South Carolina. We were wondering if anyone can give us any hints on booking shows as these will be our first tours. Also we are both minors so bars won't work :rolleyes: . Thanks for all the help in advance.

-steve-

• Members

No offense, but what is your purpose in touring? Do you have a CD getting regional airplay? Are you well-known in your local (50 mile radius) market? Are you getting gigs at high profile shows and festivals? Are you prepared to make a regular presence (once every 4-6 weeks) in the markets you're touring? If you can't answer 'yes' to these questions, then touring is just another word for 'vacation.' One that will likely cost you a lot of money.

Most young guys with stars in their eyes see 'touring' as some romantic adventure that is an indication that you're 'making it' or 'living the dream'. Actually, it is a necessary evil, that comes with great expense, but something that must be done when one has a reason to do it; that is, when the potential for gain will likely offset the loss.

The reality is harsh. My last band made 4 CDs, got airplay in major markets in the Northwest and even as far away as Kentucky/Illionois, got favorably reviewed by 3 national magazines, and did festivals and big name concerts as openers in my region for four years. And the reality is, we still had to go play cities for little to nothing, and lose money by the bucket loads, because it takes so stinking long to build a following in a population center. After awhile, I couldn't afford it any more. Just for me to go to Portland for a weekend meant that I had to compete with local bands, accepting a 300 dollar guarantee vs the door, with no motel rooms, gas, meals, and paying my guys. I ended up losing on average 300 bucks a trip. After 6 times in, and playing the Waterfront Festival in Portland, I still couldn't break even, because there are 50 bands playing every night of the week and no one gives a hoot about as band they see in the paper once or twice that they've never heard of. Unless you have a greast booking agent and a promo team, touring is a waste of time and money, unless you just want the fun of it (which wears off fairly quickly once you get out on the road and start bickering all the time).

Sorry to be so negative, but i was on the road full time in the 80s and even doing weekend road work now is a losing proposition.

• Members

Gotta agree with most of BlueStrat's post...

I only "tour" when it's a "paid vacation" kind of deal, and then only as a solo act...I manage to make a little $$$ that way, but it's at the expense of losing out on money-making opportunities here at home, where it's VASTLY less expensive to eat, travel, etc.!

Wait until you've got label backing or some sort of sponsorship...in the mean time, work on building up your "creds" locally!

HTH. :)

• Members

I can understand where you guys are coming from. We are well known in the Michigan underground scene. We aren't trying to break into the "famous popular market" but we just want to get our name into as many other States as possible. We aren't looking at huge shows even if we got paid 30 or 40 dollars a show and played to 30 or more people it would be worth it to us. We are sure that we will impress some of those people, sell some merch, and make some new fans. We are also both comfortable skipping meals and sleeping in cars due to lack of money as we have both been weekend warriors for sometime and understand a little bit about life on the road. Thanks for the advice. Even if it seems like I blew it off I really did listen. Anyone else?

-Steve-

• Members

http://www.byofl.org Great site.

Also, get on MySpace.com, find similar bands, and then find out where they are playing. Put together a demo package, and send it off the clubs well in advance. Put specific dates you'd like to play on it as well.

Your band have a website? I might be able to reccomend a couple clubs down south.

• Members

Defense...don't let people discourage you from doing what you want to do.

Yes, touring may be a losing proposition (financially) for you.

So what? If you want to do it, and if you think you may gain in other areas (e.g. pick up a fan or two or improve chops or get closer w/ your band), then go for it. Perhaps these sort of *non-material* concerns outweigh the material concerns for it.

The best way to do it is to find bands similar to yours in other areas and get in contact with them.

The second best way is to simply contact the sort of (underground) clubs you'd want to play in.

The third best way is to just go there and see what you can do. :) (This isn't really a 'best way' at all...but can work.)

• Members

It sounds like no one will discourage you from touring. Which is very good, go to the www.byofl.org and start sending out press packets. This will cost money. Then you can go out on the road, the typical rate the club I work at pays bands $5 a head so you will loose money unless you can buy merch an sell it making a profit which is rare.

I am a stage manager and I have heard every tour story under the sun from local bands playing out of their own city. You said your are in michigan, so what I would do if I was you would be putting together a tour that goes through evrey two to three cities in your surrounding states, and repeat this cycle every two to three months. This way you can build a following regionally, make some friends with other bands and become more noticable, try to play chicago as much as possible. It's a big market and there are tons of bands you could probably hook up with.

Fianlly if you play hardcore or emo pm me and I will try to get you a show here in san diego and introduce you to a few bands, if you ever want to tour the west coast.

Archived