Build your own snare?

Buzter

• Members

Has anyone built their own snare. I probably would have by now but can't decided what ply or hardware or depth. I know it will be 14". I'm considering going 10ply, maybe 8 ply and 6 1/2 deep...um, maybe 6 deep. Probably a 10 lug but 8 isn't out of the question...decisions, decisions.

• Members

it really comes down to personal preference. Nobody will be able to tell you what your snare should have, though you will hopefully at least get some reccomendations here.

My thought would be if this is you're first drum to build, try and keep it simple and standard, and then from then on if you want to build another one you could get more creative

• Members

I have. I love Keller shells and will probably get another Keller maple kit.

Are you planning on doing your own edges and drilling?

I've got a 7x14 8-ply right now, next one is going to be a 6x10 10-ply. This one's just too deep and not quite loud enough, could use more crack. Thicker shells give more crack, raise the pitch, and increase the volume. She sounds great though.

I highly recommend flanged hoops, since they sound more open and musical on a wood snare. And Trick throws. Expensive, but THE BEST out there. Ego's is pretty good, but I had a couple QC issues, and the Trick one is just a bit better designed.

10- or 8-lug, doesn't matter too much if you've got good edges.

As for lugs, it's all PP, but I'd stay away from single-screw lugs as they can tear out if you crank up the heads.

Archived