• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i would love a set with twisted walnut and gold hardware. alas im poor
:(
haha

I think about how beautiful that is, but:

1) That's probably $6K you are looking at. Not without winning a lottery, or making my 1st million selling electric drums.

2) It's walnut veneer over maple

3) I'd rather have an all black-walnut kit (like poboys drums, DDRUM dios, Gretsch renown purewood or a mapex saturn (50% walnut) for the sound.

4) Any of the above would cost 50% less than the DW...

• Members

Thank you all, I had the Birdseye kit built while I was in an all original band. we did not gig very often. When I got into a band that gigged every weekend I decided I did not want to trash the kit so I ordered the finish ply.

I played a Pacific MX kit while I was waiting for the finish ply kit to be built. I have to admit the Pacific kit sounded great!

• Members
Thank you all, I had the Birdseye kit built while I was in an all original band. we did not gig very often. When I got into a band that gigged every weekend I decided I did not want to trash the kit so I ordered the finish ply.

I played a Pacific MX kit while I was waiting for the finish ply kit to be built. I have to admit the Pacific kit sounded great!

I have two Pacific Kits and two DW Kits. My Pacific Kits get more gig time than the DW Kit's and there are reasons for this and it's not the sound. The Pacific Kit's do sound great!:thu:

• Members

The thing that stopped me from getting a PDP maple kit (or Gretsch renown) was sizes available...period.

I have played PDP enough to say that they are (as the PDP/DW dvd states) a close match to DW in terms of sound.

I have not ruled out PDP CX as a gigging kit. Those take a lot more punishment than my lacquer can.

Neuro: My kit is a labor of love. It was a {censored}load of work. If it was a DW, It would be $7,000. Bare lacquer is very vulnerable to even small dings. Not to mention, it's 10-pc and growing.

A wrapped PDP CX costs a fraction of a DW, yet the sound *almost* the same. And the wrap protects them. Less money, more safety. Besides, I would not gig out with a 10-pc kit unless I had a roadie.

• Members

The thing that stopped me from getting a PDP maple kit (or Gretsch renown) was sizes available...period.

I have played PDP enough to say that they are (as the PDP/DW dvd states) a close match to DW in terms of sound.

I have not ruled out PDP CX as a gigging kit. Those take a lot more punishment than my lacquer can.

Neuro: My kit is a labor of love. It was a {censored}load of work. If it was a DW, It would be $7,000. Bare lacquer is very vulnerable to even small dings. Not to mention, it's 10-pc and growing.

A wrapped PDP CX costs a fraction of a DW, yet the sound *almost* the same. And the wrap protects them. Less money, more safety. Besides, I would not gig out with a 10-pc kit unless I had a roadie.

DITTO...well said.

• Members

"Neuro: My kit is a labor of love. It was a {censored}load of work."

ok, thats understandable. I feel where you're comin' from. i just don't get the way people get so caught up in the way their drums look, and are scared to scratch them. they are, after all, just drums

"Well, you wouldn't buy a ferrari to drive around in the fields... would you?"

i wouldn't buy a ferrari, period. but, im not really into cars, so...

Archived