How much does it typically cost to ship a drumset?

jrm27

• Members

weird question...

But we're headed to the studio and are shipping our drums out there. It's a standard 5 piece kit with all the hardware. It'd be going from Colorado to Oregon. anyone know how much we should anticipate spending?

is it better to ship each drum individually, or take the heads off and nest them?

any input would be appreciated.

-jon

• Members

I sent a 7-piece kit, shells only, in two boxes for about $75 UPS Ground, but with a discount. Probably about $75-100 for shells, another $50 for cymbals, another $75-100+ for hardware.

You might be better off renting a kit or using a studio kit. Have you looked into that?

• Members

I sent a 7-piece kit, shells only, in two boxes for about $75 UPS Ground, but with a discount. Probably about $75-100 for shells, another $50 for cymbals, another $75-100+ for hardware.

You might be better off renting a kit or using a studio kit. Have you looked into that?

I shipped my Tempus kit with rack and cymbals via UPS. $625. That was a big kit granted, but taking away 1/2 of the weight -unless you are a UPS contractee- Is going to cost a lot more than $100. The kick drum alone will cost $75.

• Members

Hmm...well my kit was a Starclassic Birch with cast hoops, 8-10-12-14-16-22. Nested the 8, 12, 16 and 10, 14, 22. Two boxes, all of it was about $75.

I'd recommend driving or renting though, that would be a HUGE pain.

The other aspect: what was the distance of shipping? I admit I shipped from coast to coast. Passing through multiple fare "zones" jacks the price up bigtime.

• Members

First...most Kit's are shipped in a big box now-a-days....one shell inside another...not bad right? Well,when you add the hardware&cymbals the price goes through the roof. I would look into a backline set....rent them in the town or city where you will be recording...most citys have backline gear now-a-days. Other choice is to drive them yourself or fly them...flying them ain't cheap either! You should be able to get a studio set as a rental Kit.

• Members

I shipped my Tempus kit with rack and cymbals via UPS. $625. That was a big kit granted, but taking away 1/2 of the weight -unless you are a UPS contractee- Is going to cost a lot more than $100. The kick drum alone will cost $75.

That sounds about right. I just shipped a bass drum two weeks ago and it was $68 just for the kick drum.

I shipped a set of DW's (from east to west coast) last spring and it cost

me just under $300.

Archived