...if you had to skimp on a CD recording

murphmusik

• Members

On the other hand, I can't imagine being an A&R rep and considering anyone with the name "Fuzz Ball" as a serious artist.

Not to pick on you Fuzz Ball, but maybe you didn't realize that you're probably turning off a lot of people by using that name in connection to your project.

• Members

Originally posted by mmmiddle

On the other hand, I can't imagine being an A&R rep and considering anyone with the name "Fuzz Ball" as a serious artist.

Not to pick on you Fuzz Ball, but maybe you didn't realize that you're probably turning off a lot of people by using that name in connection to your project.

Oh please, like "Sid Vicious" was a detriment at all? There are plenty of other names like that out there in rock and roll. Fuzzball has nothing to worry about, even if he doesn't use his real name.

• Members

I'll throw in my opinion. It all depends on what you want the CD to be used for.

Is it just for local bookings, for yourself and friends? Then you don't need much.

Are you trying to get signed, look for management or legal representation, sell to fans? Then it has to be as good as you can afford.

You can shop around for different studio rates but you must be very careful. Obviously $200+ an hour is out of the question. However there is a big difference between $10-$25 an hour studios and $25-$50 an hour. Maybe or maybe not much of an improvement at the $50-$80 an hour range studios. You've got to make some hard choices.

CD cover art has to be taken into consideration. It's obviously got to look good. You don't want to put some crappy computer printout picture but you also don't need to spend $1000 on a top artist.

How many pages do you want the CD booklet to be? Just a 2 page, 4 page, 6 page, etc.? Do you want to include the lyrics in the booklet and what about photos?

Some things you can control (sort of). Rehearse your butt off BEFORE you go into the studio. Less takes = less cost.

Sometimes you can negotiate a better price with some studios.

To master or not to master. Another decision = another expense. The sound of your CD could be vastly improved for a few hundred dollars more.

I agree with some of the previous posts. Like it or not you are in competition with thousands of other bands. How badly do you want the prize.

If a potential label, manager, lawyer whatever is evaluating your CD what do you think he's going to choose? The more professional "looking" CD first. He knows there's a band that takes itself seriously and is willing to put their money where their talent is.

• Members

I did not take any offense, but I did list my real name and the post says that it is a (Also Known As). It adds comfort. I wuldent include that if it was a metal CD. Did you listen to any of the clips? Just curious about what you guys thought. (I wouldent mind selling a few more eigther).:D

• Members

Originally posted by mmmiddle

I can't see how it's much worse than any other artist name these days. Have you looked at the charts lately?

• Members

Originally posted by spinman

I can't see how it's much worse than any other artist name these days. Have you looked at the charts lately?

I do have to admit, "Fuzz ball" is BETTER than pretty much any rapper's name.

I haven't looked at the charts lately. I listen to bands like Coheed and Cambria, Thrice, Silverstein, Alexisonfire, Finch, Story of the Year, and the like. They don't have much mainstream coverage so I don't read any mainstream media.

• Members

Thanks, Fuzzball, much obliged. Murphmusic, in my opinion it would be bad to skimp on any facet of your disc. After you spend all that $$$ on recording it and getting it printed etc. it would be a shame to cut corners. BUT, if you HAD to because of money, I'd suggest the packaging. There are many cd's out there with lame covers and mediocre artwork but have killer sounding music in there. While great packaging can enhance your product, I personally think it is the one area you can skimp on, if necessary. There are clever and inexpensive ways to make it look cool. One area not to skimp on, and many artists do, is the mastering of your disc. Mastering is crucial if you want airplay. I know many of the new machines we all record on have a mastering device in them, but trust me, they can't live up to the quality you'd receive by having someone in the know to master it for you. Go to a studio with an engineer you know and trust, give him a few of your favorite artists' cd's you'd like your project to sound like as a reference. If he's good he should be able to achieve the sound and EQ you desire on your project. On my last cd I wanted an old warm sound from 1971. I brought in an old Badfinger album and my engineer went out and rented vintage machines to get that effect. All the levels were equal and he captured that vintage sound my music needs. Plus they can help you edit and crossfade songs if you desire. Mercy, I'm rambling:D ...I hope this helps out.

• Members

I guess you can look at it from the angle that if you skimp on the quality of the recording, you're stuck with that. If you skimp on the packaging, you can always upgrade if the time comes to reorder.

Still, you want the best first impression you can get.

Archived