help with gigging and kits for it etc.

milo91

• Members

hi guys.

im 16 in a band wit mates, and we are hopefully going to start trying to get some gigs soon. ive got a pearl EXport EXR. and i no that you need to be able to set up quickly. i was wondering what would be a good kit, like memory locks and all that jazz. and racks i don't quite get them. can u guys help me with all this stuff.

i no its a bit all over the place but if you would give your advice that would be shweet.

cheers

• Members

As you have already said, memory locks are amazing when it comes to a fast set up. The only other thing i could possibly mention is that you should always have a mental image on how to actually set up what it is you want to play. When i set up, i always know exactly what is coming up next for me to set up. I get all of my drums (all 3 of them :)) and put them together exactly how i want them. I then get my cymbal stands in order and know exactly where i need them cause of memory locks. Then i put on the cymbals and roto toms and i am good to go.

• Members

The kit you get depends on you and what you like, the style of music you play etc... I'm a hard core Yamaha guy, great kits for the money, have a look at those. As far as quick setups, memory locks rule! I use white masking tape on the legs of my floor toms, to let me know how far to drop the legs out, you can do that on other things too.. When I tear down stands I don't fold everything up, I just take off the cymbals and fold in the legs, I leave everything else the way it is so I don't have to mess with positioning.. My kit is very minimal though, set up takes less than 15 min..

• Members

DW are good, but can be quite pricey! For a GIG kit, I would suggest Pearls, Yamaha, Tama, Etc. Most basic sets with good heads and cymbals should work. With a gig only kit you're looking for more of a workhorse kit, like your exports. Gig kits WILL get dinged up a little and will be in the cold and heat.

Most brand name entry to mid line kits would be good and spend most of money on tough cymbal stands, mounts and pedals. the stuff that has to be loosened and tightened night after night.

The very nicest of sets should be for your home or recording studio. You just want a basic kit with decent heads for gigs where most people just want to hear a drum sound like a drum. Most live music is played where people most likely want to dance or drink or in between. Hope this helps!

• Members

As far as quick setups, memory locks rule! I use white masking tape on the legs of my floor toms, to let me know how far to drop the legs out, you can do that on other things too.. When I tear down stands I don't fold everything up, I just take off the cymbals and fold in the legs, I leave everything else the way it is so I don't have to mess with positioning.. My kit is very minimal though, set up takes less than 15 min..

All of this is great advice. The more you do it the faster you'll get. Most shows should allow you to set your stuff up before transporting it to the stage, then when you come off the stage you take down. If you don't use a hardware bag soft bass cases work really well when left unzipped. Also take only what's necessary for the gig. To help the sound guys set up all your shells first so they can start placing the mics when you put your cymbals on. I'm glad you are aware that this needs to be as quick as possible, I've played too many shows were dumb asses will go off and talk to there friends and I'm left moving their {censored} out of the way for mine.:mad:

As far as suggestions for a gigging kit it's way too subjective. I don't see why you'd have any problems using your current set up.

• Members

I'm with twosticks, gig the Export, at least until you have enough experience to look for a better kit on your own. Go to drum shops and play a lot of kits, that's the only way to know what you like. If you are looking for a new kit to gig with, get a wrapped kit rather than a lacquer. It will get scratches and dings.

I'd invest in quality heads if you haven't already--resos, too. If you're going to be miked you'll probably want a ported bass drum reso.

Assuming you'll be transporting them in a car (as opposed to a band truck) get some bags for your drums and cymbals. Both Gator bags and Galaxy bags are great for the money, and you can usually get a 5-piece set of them for $100-125. If you have room in your vehicle for it a hardware bag or case is nice, too.

If you don't already have one, get a rug--many stages aren't carpeted, and your drums/stands will creep. Some of the "drum rugs" out there are crap and most are expensive for what you get, so get a rubber-backed industrial type thing at Home Depot or get a cheap rug from WalMart in your choice of patterns. You can mark this rug with a sharpie or tape to indicate where the drums and stands go if you want.

You might practice setting up and tearing down once or twice. Set up drums first, then stands, then cymbals. Tear down in reverse order. Memory locks are great, you can even get them for floor tom legs. Stands without memory locks can be marked with a sharpie--mark the tubes for height and the cymbal tilters for position.

Whether you want a rack or not depends on how big a kit you have. But even if you decide against it, you can consolodate stands easily if you get ones whose bases are sturdy enough. I have two cymbals on one stand and two cymbals and a tom on another, and those are the only stands I use other than the hihat, snare stand, and throne.

Hope this helps.

• Members

My gigging advice has little to do with hardware or setup:

1 - Be early. On time is late. Don't let other musician's examples dictate your behaviour. When you have to wait around for other people, you have a right to get irritated. When you make other people wait, you will be the subject of their irritation.

2 - Have a good attitude. The soundguys that you deal with may not always be the most friendly. Stay on their good side as much as possible. NEVER fight back, even if they are being jerks. Remember that they have the power of "sound bad" at their fingertips, plus they often deal with arrogant musicians, and get kinda sick of it.

3 - Have fun! There is a reason that what we do is called "Playing". Too many people take it way too seriously, and end up sounding tense

4 - Don't get drunk or stoned. I've played with way too many people that drink or toke the whole time they're playing. By the third set they are sloshed or burnt, and just don't do a good job. I'm not saying never to drink (or whatever) but do it in moderation. Remember that you have to get home at the end of the night, with all of your gear, which likely means that you drove yourself there.

5 - I said it once already, but have fun. You may be a bit nervous, but remember that you're the one on stage, and the people are there for you to entertain them. If you aren't having fun, then they probably won't either.

Joe

• Members

I have to agree on some points above. I have been gigging for about 7 years now, and there is nothing faster than a well set rack system and a well marked rug/carpet.

The most hectic shows you will do are showcases, such as festivals and the like, where several bands play the same stage back to back. If you dont have your ducks in a row, its a pain for everyone.

My deal for every show is I get my rack system setup (usually in two independent parts). That way when its time to load my massive ass kit, I throw a rug down, position my kick drums, position my rack and then my snare and self. Setup takes a good 20-30min, but I can go from the sideroom to the stage in about 6min and be ready to play within 8 at the most usually. Most guys with simple 5pc kits and multiple stands take quite longer to get their stuff in order.

Racks are great, but even without a rack, memory locks and a rug are lifesavers, and I wouldnt gig without them.

Archived