Need help with refinishing drums

theDan

• Members

Hey guys as you may or may not know I currently have a Catalina Club Mod with black hardware, I also have a small jazz set in blue stain finish. Well, I plan on refinishing it just cause I don't really like wraps personally. K so I found a source where I can buy almost identical black lugs as the ones on my Club Mod, so I was planning on refinishing the Club Mod in a blue stain to match my jazz set so I could combine the parts for certain uses but the blue stain/black hardware doesn't really look very nice, so I'm thinking of trying to go with green (or a light teal) and I was wondering how to go about unstaining my jazz set. Any help is appreciated

Gracias.

• Members

Mohagany kits that are usually wrapped don't have the best matching shells. I've also had problems doing this with my Ludwig set. The rack toms wrap came off no problem but the floor and bass had so much glue it actually splintered.:eek: To "unstain" I think the only way is to sand the f*ck out of it. That will take a really long time. Best of luck.

• Members

I think there is stuff that unstains wood know, kind of like paint stripper. It gets into the cells and grains of the wood, and actually bleaches it out. Try looking at some woodworking sites, or ask any of the guys here who do that stuff...maybe Marko46 or WellHumgarian...

• Members

the only thing I would recomment (if it is a stain and not a dye) is to sand the {censored} out of the shells with like 100 grit until you get the surface stain off of the wood. stain is a bitch to remove but it sits on top of the wood. if it's a dye it penetrates and you won't be able to remove it.

might take these questions over to ghostnote, they could probably guide you in the right direction.

• Members

I would not recommend trying to refinish a cheap drum kit. Underneath the wrap there is likely shells with a bad grain, mismatched, or even wood filler.

What I would do is save up a bit for some nice new Keller shells. They will sound a lot better, you can get them with bearing edges, and the grain will match and accept any type of finish you want. Shouldn't be more than about $250-300 for a basic kit.

I don't understand what you're trying to do with the stain kit.

• Members

I'm interested in refinishing my Starclassic Performers as well. They are Indigo (deep blue) lacquer and have some pretty good nicks/scratches in some areas.

I don't mind keeping the blue stain/dye color, so I'm hoping I can find something to strip the lacquer off and then just respray them with fresh clear coat. Or, strip as much as I can, then sand to bare wood and go from there.

If it will be more work/cost than it's worth, I'll just cover what I've got with a wrap (assuming I can glue wrap to existing clear coat).

• Members

I'm interested in refinishing my Starclassic Performers as well. They are Indigo (deep blue) lacquer and have some pretty good nicks/scratches in some areas.

I don't mind keeping the blue stain/dye color, so I'm hoping I can find something to strip the lacquer off and then just respray them with fresh clear coat. Or, strip as much as I can, then sand to bare wood and go from there.

If it will be more work/cost than it's worth, I'll just cover what I've got with a wrap (assuming I can glue wrap to existing clear coat).

Don't try to sand off all of the lacquer, just sand/scuff with 220gr and re shoot clear lacquer,it will fill in the smaller nicks and scratches with a couple of coats. :thu:

Archived