I'm filling in next weekend... Gotta learn new tunes!

ckcondon

• Members

Got a call from a buddy who's drummer will be out of town next weekend and they asked me to fill in. Pretty basic cover gig and I already know a handful of the songs. The rest of them are familiar, but I will have to do a bit of "shedding" on some I've never played and only heard a few times.

I've seen the band a few times and it's a high-energy show with a little "punky edge" to their delivery of songs.

We won't be rehearsing, and I'll be flying by the seat of my pants.

I'm excited to play with these guys because they are a cool band, but certainly nervous about nailing the unfamiliar material.

My plan is to ingest as much as I can and just go for it and have fun. I'll keep it simple, focus on time and keep eye contact with the bass player for cues.

How have any of you handled gigs like this, and how did it go? (Well, don't tell me if it was a disaster,, I don't need that mental image! LOL)

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

Your plan sounds fine. Listen to their songs as much as possible and make mental notes on specific breaks, changes, endings, etc.

I love gigs like that. I really enjoy playing off the cuff, especially when it requires unspoken communication with the other musicians.

It's one of the reasons I love open mic jams and playing songs I've never played with musicians I've never met/played with before. Keeps me on my toes and helps hone quick thinking skills :)

• Members

Done these types of gigs a lot. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, that's for sure....but I love that aspect. I guess I kind of specialize with these kinds of gigs. You absolutely won't fall on your face if:

- You know the genre of music you are playing.

- Have open ears.

- Look and pay attention for visual cues from the band.

- In some cases, I chart out songs I've never played before. Nothing to complicated here.

- Get the Master Songlist beforehand.

- Once you get the songlist, start listening to the songs you don't know.

- Hold on for the ride, and don't get bummed or freak out if you {censored} up. Nobody is expecting you to be perfect. The band is usually estatic that a drummer is there and know what he is doing. A flub here and there is quickly laughed-off. Move on and ROCK.

- Keep the HOT CHOPS in the toolbox and leave them there. Unless its a fusion gig of course. :)

After that, look forward getting called back for a fill-in opportunity!

Good luck!

• Members

The best luck I've had is to have the band send you the setlist before hand, create a CD or playlist in the same order and then listen to it like you're going to play it. Listen to it a lot.

Then relax and let your skills and memory take over while you watch for the cues and have fun.

• Members

- You know the genre of music you are playing.

- Have open ears.

- Look and pay attention for visual cues from the band.

- In some cases, I chart out songs I've never played before. Nothing to complicated here.

- Get the Master Songlist beforehand.

- Once you get the songlist, start listening to the songs you don't know.

- Hold on for the ride, and don't get bummed or freak out if you {censored} up. Nobody is expecting you to be perfect. The band is usually estatic that a drummer is there and know what he is doing. A flub here and there is quickly laughed-off. Move on and ROCK.

- Keep the HOT CHOPS in the toolbox and leave them there. Unless its a fusion gig of course.
:)

Good luck!

Excellent advice. Prepare as much as you can. . . then relax, take a deep breath and remember this is why you play. If you worry about messing up, you're gonna mess up. This is a no pressure situation for you. You're doing them a favor, and they are grateful. Just play the songs. . . you do that, the rest will fall into place like a Garibaldi groove.

• Members

I've been in those shoes man, drummer couldn't make the show, we had 6 hours to find a drummer, we would have taken anybody at that point. They're going to be happy that you showed up and played solid. Don't need to be flashy just solid and they will be happy as... Something..

• Members

Yeah, I'm getting more psyched for this show. None of the songs are really complex and most are "top 40 hits" that I have heard a bunch on the radio. They do some fun stuff like Korn's version of "Word up", some Pennywise, Fugazi, Journey and even some Go Go's and Kelly Clarkson!

I figure I may miss a stop or change here and there, but I will do it with much enthusiasm and give 'em my best show!

• Members

Yep, I listen to the material, learn the changes, and watch the guitarists for changes. They thought it was the coolest thing when I knew where the verse and chorus where to a song I'd never heard before (watched for when they hit the distortion pedal).

And keep it simple. Just groove. Hell, I have to repeat that mantra every day :D

• Members

Good luck! I love fill-in shows like this. I was asked last night to do the same for a friend's band playing the Paradise in Boston, and I can't wait. It's somewhere between punk, rock, and pop, but either way, I just want to deliver some solid drums for them.

Have fun, play simple, keep great time, and make the band feel like they're in good hands! :thu:

• Members

sweet. I've done jazz gigs like this before and they've (usually) turned out great!

btw, kind of off-topic, but what kind of kit is that in your avatar? It sure is pretty.

Thanks, it's my "homemade" Bonham kit. Got the shells and hardware from drummaker.com, and the red sparkle from jamminsam.com.

16X26" kick, 14,16, 18" toms and my Pork Pie BOB 6.5X14" snare. Built it for under $1500.

I don't play it out too often, don't want to mess it up!

• Members

Thanks, it's my "homemade" Bonham kit. Got the shells and hardware from drummaker.com, and the red sparkle from jamminsam.com.

16X26" kick, 14,16, 18" toms and my Pork Pie BOB 6.5X14" snare. Built it for under $1500.

I don't play it out too often, don't want to mess it up!

That is a SWEET kit...and I see you also rock the Chad Smith snare :thu:

• Members

I'm jealous! How does that Pork Pie snare sound? I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Also, did you assemble all of the drums yourself? That's another project I'm thinking about going after. haha. I might even use that same Red sparkle considering how amazing your kit looks!

• Members

I'm jealous! How does that Pork Pie snare sound? I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Also, did you assemble all of the drums yourself? That's another project I'm thinking about going after. haha. I might even use that same Red sparkle considering how amazing your kit looks!

I love my Pork Pie. I have an evans coated power center batter cranked pretty tight to get a nice, dry crack. Rimshots are deadly!

On the custom kit, I had Drummaker cut all the bearing edges and drill the holes. I assembled and wrapped the kit. It didn't take too much time and I enjoyed the process. I'm sure I'll build another set at some point. It's so much cheaper than buying a high-end "name" kit, and you have a unique set of drums that are truly "custom". Not to mention they sound awesome!

I highly recommend building a kit to anyone who wants a great kit w/o spending a fortune.

• Members

I just had to write the follow-up to the show.

We all had a blast and the guys were all really happy with my performance. there were a few small misses, but the bass player kept me queued on changes, stops and a few "double time" parts that no one told me about. The singer was really good about signals for tempo and "keep it going a few more bars".

I enjoyed the spontaneity of the show and the grins and thumbs-up from the band when I nailed something they thought I'd miss!

The crowd was into it and anyone who didn't know the band wouldn't have known I was a fill-in who had never played the songs before!

Fun stuff!

Archived