New Videos

TamaMan

• Members

Ok so I have a couple new videos, feedback welcome.

First up is Cast Down the Heretic by Nile.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

And, although jazz is TOTALLY LAME AND NOT METAL, here's a video of me recording "Sudden Sam" with my school's jazz band.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Is that Duck Tape on your drums? You sound real good man keep it up!

Thanks alot :)

Yeah it's duck tape...I was getting some nasty ringing from my snare and the toms resonated a little too long, so the tape solved that.

• Members

Very nice and not bad. Although I'm not into metal that much. Are you looking for comments on your playing? Your Sound? or the recording of it?

I say kudos for knowing how to record yourself playing and post on here.

The metal video: Nice fills and nice flashy playing. Would have been nice to hear the song you're playing to in the background. Could not hear the bass drum. Maybe next time if you record from in front of the set, will hear bass and snares better and hats won't be so much in our ears. From the front should get more resonance from the drums as well. I really like the tuning and tone on the toms, best part of the set IMO.

Jazz Band: very nice as well! good job! Maybe if you added more "swing" to your feel especially on the ride. Also would be great if they had at least a nice clean 20" or bigger ride cymbal for you to use, something you could lay into for feel.

I mute my snare but nowhere near what you do on your home kit. Also I don't know if it's because of where your mic is at or not, but your ride sounded light from what I could hear. But I also know that a metal set is not suposed to have hardly any reso. PLease note that this only my opinion. Nothing bad as far as I can see, some of it isn't my style, but I can understand how you have practiced to play the music you like. Keep practicing and doing what you're doing! :thu:

• Members

Very nice and not bad. Although I'm not into metal that much. Are you looking for comments on your playing? Your Sound? or the recording of it?

I say kudos for knowing how to record yourself playing and post on here.

The metal video: Nice fills and nice flashy playing. Would have been nice to hear the song you're playing to in the background. Could not hear the bass drum. Maybe next time if you record from in front of the set, will hear bass and snares better and hats won't be so much in our ears. From the front should get more resonance from the drums as well. I really like the tuning and tone on the toms, best part of the set IMO.

Jazz Band: very nice as well! good job! Maybe if you added more "swing" to your feel especially on the ride. Also would be great if they had at least a nice clean 20" or bigger ride cymbal for you to use, something you could lay into for feel.

I mute my snare but nowhere near what you do on your home kit. Also I don't know if it's because of where your mic is at or not, but your ride sounded light from what I could hear. But I also know that a metal set is not suposed to have hardly any reso. PLease note that this only my opinion. Nothing bad as far as I can see, some of it isn't my style, but I can understand how you have practiced to play the music you like. Keep practicing and doing what you're doing!
:thu:

Thanks for the comments..I had my ipod and triggers coming out of the same amp so it got kind of muddy. I guess I'll try having the camera closer to the amp next time.

• Members

Yeah bro, if you want to play metal calm down on that snare. In fact toss that snare. Sounds a little like the theme to woody woodpecker. Your timing looks good put your heads are a little too tight IMO. I can't tell but it doesn't appear you are playing double bass. While not necessary, it would be a good idea along with getting a little more agressive with your legs. It doesn't look like you are incorperating your bass drum into your rolls.

• Members

Yeah bro, if you want to play metal calm down on that snare. In fact toss that snare. Sounds a little like the theme to woody woodpecker. Your timing looks good put your heads are a little too tight IMO.

Haha no way man I love that snare. I just got that head for it though so I'm still messing around with the tuning.

• Members

And, although jazz is TOTALLY LAME AND NOT METAL, here's a video of me recording "Sudden Sam" with my school's jazz band.

To be honest, and please take this as constructive criticism, the reason jazz may feel lame to you is because you play it lamely (is that a word?). If you played metal with as little emotion as you are playing the piece with your school's jazz band, I don't think there is a band out there that would want you driving them behind your kit. I've seen polka bands, and I'm not a big fan of polka music, where I was impressed with the drummer and the feel and effort he was giving to the music. Just playing ching-chinga-ching on the ride and hitting the kicks doesn't assure you will give the band the drive and feel they need. You seem to have the technique and ability to bring your jazz playing to a higher level, what I think you lack is some passion for the music. Without it it's going to sound as bad as me trying to play blastbeats in a deathmetal band.

• Members

To be honest, and please take this as constructive criticism, the reason jazz may feel lame to you is because you play it lamely (is that a word?). If you played metal with as little emotion as you are playing the piece with your school's jazz band, I don't think there is a band out there that would want you driving them behind your kit. I've seen polka bands, and I'm not a big fan of polka music, where I was impressed with the drummer and the feel and effort he was giving to the music. Just playing ching-chinga-ching on the ride and hitting the kicks doesn't assure you will give the band the drive and feel they need. You seem to have the technique and ability to bring your jazz playing to a higher level, what I think you lack is some passion for the music. Without it it's going to sound as bad as me trying to play blastbeats in a deathmetal band.

Haha yeah I can't really get excited about playing jazz, but I also had to play softer/more laid back because of balance issues with the recording setup. Thanks for the feedback.

Archived