Carpal Tunnel Warm Up

Risky

• Members

After 45 years of active playing, it's finally happened, I'm having problems with carpal tunnel. I'm having steroid injections next week and I'm wearing wrist braces when I can. I have a week of shows coming up, so my question for people that have experience, how/how much should I warm up before a show? Is it better to warm up a lot? Or keep it to a minimum?

• Members

After 45 years of active playing, it's finally happened, I'm having problems with carpal tunnel. I'm having steroid injections next week and I'm wearing wrist braces when I can. I have a week of shows coming up, so my question for people that have experience, how/how much should I warm up before a show? Is it better to warm up a lot? Or keep it to a minimum?

I've had the surgeries (more job related than drumming/guitaring) - anyhow, I was playing while I still had the stitches in.

Rather than try and "manage" it, just get the surgery! Seriously...the longer you put it off, the harder it will be to recover. I just turned 30 and was starting to get numbness issues. My Mom, waited until she was 40, and had chronic pain. Granted, this was 10 years ago (for her) and it had come a LOOONG way since then, but there were several weeks before she could do anything with her hands. Me - by the time I shook off all the junk from being knocked out, I could hold a spoon. Couple days later, I could lightly hold a stick. by the time the wrappers came off...I was pretty good. I only missed 2 weeks of work/hand - doc wanted me out for 4 weeks/hand, but after seeing my progress, released me to light duty (given my line of work)

I'd recommend my hand surgeon, he did a GREAT job on my hands, but who knows if that would be feasible.

• Members

Thanks Jenks. My Neurologist is doing an EMG next week to see if he thinks surgery is the next step, but I can't do that until after the 6/9. I hope wearing the braces and steroid shots help. I've been losing control. On 4/19 I played a live one hour radio show and my left hand started shaking uncontrollably for about 15 secs, calmed down and did it again for about 15 secs. I was playing a very up tempo train beat with wire brushes. The recording came out OK, surprisingly. But it really freaked me out. I had a show the same night with a different band and I just had less control of my hands. I HAVE to play shows 6/1-7. It's a pretty intense show. Any specific stretching exercises or appreciated. Does anyone else have any thoughts on warming up more or warming up less?

• Members

Thanks Jenks. My Neurologist is doing an EMG next week to see if he thinks surgery is the next step, but I can't do that until after the 6/9. I hope wearing the braces and steroid shots help. I've been losing control. On 4/19 I played a live one hour radio show and my left hand started shaking uncontrollably for about 15 secs, calmed down and did it again for about 15 secs. I was playing a very up tempo train beat with wire brushes. The recording came out OK, surprisingly. But it really freaked me out. I had a show the same night with a different band and I just had less control of my hands. I HAVE to play shows 6/1-7. It's a pretty intense show. Any specific stretching exercises or appreciated. Does anyone else have any thoughts on warming up more or warming up less?

First off, I don't have C.T. yet (knock on lots of wood), but I do have tendinitis issues with my right wrist. What I found, is if I wear braces too much, it weakens my wrist, making me prone to aggravating it. In fact, my recovery after an aggravation was 3 times longer when I braced it completely. So I recommend that you limit the amount of time you brace your wrist, and what kind of brace you're using.

Next, warm-ups are always good, as long as you do it slowly. Try my wrist exercise where I rotate my hands clockwise 20 times, then counter clockwise 20 times slowly. Then I do a really slow action that mimics that hand-movement of an accent stroke.

Finally, when you're done playing, ice your wrist so there's no swelling and it dampens the pain.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as everyone's situation is different, but I hope some of it helps (especially the brace part!).

• Members

it is better to fight for good than to fail at the ill.-------------------------Our wow power leveling website offer Fast and Secure wow powerleveling service. WoW Power Leveling 60-70, Cheap wow power leveling 1-70. The Professional WoW Power Leveling! Powerlevel WoW Power Leveling now. WOrld of warcraft Power Leveling bloom of true love associated with this time of year!

• Members

Keeping your fluid levels up is always helpful, worth trying as well. Gotta keep things lubricated!

The EMG isn't all that bad. There's some needles involved, where they stick them in the muscles to listen to the neves fire (it's hooked up to another machine), but really, it's not that bad!

They also shock you at several points and measure the nerve conductance.

Going to the dentist for a cleaning is more of a PITA...

The guy that did my EMG found out I have myotonia (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myotonia) - and got all "happy" about it, because he thought something was up with my nerves firing. I'd contract a muscle, and it'd be a number of seconds (10+) before the nerve would go to it's normal dormant cycle. (tick-tick-tick-tick)

Pretty interesting stuff, just he was a bit too happy to check me over...like the weather guys being excited about tornado season around here - lol...

• Members

Jenks, once again good info. I didn't know what to expect from the EMG. I'm not antsie about needles, but I do like to know what's going to happen. It's encouraging to know your surgery went well, especially if that's in my future. I guess I really shouldn't be too surprised. I really have been playing actively for 45 years and futzing with computers for 25, I guess it's time to pay a price.

• Members

Jenks, once again good info. I didn't know what to expect from the EMG. I'm not antsie about needles, but I do like to know what's going to happen. It's encouraging to know your surgery went well, especially if that's in my future. I guess I really shouldn't be too surprised. I really have been playing actively for 45 years and futzing with computers for 25, I guess it's time to pay a price.

I'm the same way. I read up on what all they have to do, and try to be as knowledgeable as possible so I can ask the right questions to the doctor/surgeon.

The EMG needles are like accu-puncture needles, just slightly bigger - smaller than hypodermic.

They'll locate the nerve on the outside, stick ya, then move it around slightly until they get a reading from the nerve itself. The moving around part is a bit uncomfortable, but I don't remember the nerve part being so. Just gotta stay relaxed and not tense up, else it's more uncomfortable.

The other half is that they connect a sensor to your hand, and shock ("stimulate") the nerves in your hand and forearm, and measure how fast the neve conducts. The shock starts small and gets larger because the nerve becomes desensitized. It's about like "testing" a 9v battery with your tongue at it's *worst* (IMO)

I might be painting a bad picture, but, really, it's not that bad. They're done testing both arms within 20 minutes.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do end up with surgery, is to ask them point-blank, how much physical therapy most patients your age require to gain full mobility, if they recommend mobilization as soon as one is able to (or to keep it immobilized), and so on.

My Doc said to mobilize. I didn't need any physical therapy. I did it all on my own. The longer you are immobilized, the longer and harder you have to work at getting back your mobility - something to keep in mind. The muscles and ligaments get used to being in one spot, and have to be stretched back out...

• Members

Quite the contrary, to me you're painting an accurate picture and I appreciate the info. I was hoping to specifically hear from drummers, like you, who had experience with this problem. I think a lot of med professionals don't get "I'm a drummer". I've had better experiences dealing with med pros that deal more with sports injuries. Losing control of my hands over the last 6-8 months has really, really disturbed me. It';s hearting to know that the problem can be fixed. I'll post after the EMG. Drum on

Archived