swapped pacific X7's for Gretsch Cat Maples

raytracer

• Members

Finally, after trying to convince myself to keep the X7's, I gave up and exchanged them for a set of Red Cherry Catalina Maples. I can already tell this was the best decision for me.

I now see how Guitar center works - They have a bunch of drum shells stacked up and selling as new, but if you look them over, many are not new, like the cat maples they had. There was a big ding on the bass drum.

My X7's were stacked here when I bought them. I'm sure they will take them, stack them up again , and sell them as new. Not that they aren't in like new condition, but still.

Anyways, I asked the guy if they had any Cat Maples in the box, and he found some, so I came out with a never hit before set of maple drums. I like them alot, def sound better than the X7's, for my ear.

The X7's are very nice drums, but I understand now the market segment they are aimed for. They produced a very nice looking (sparkle finishes), big (7 pieces), decent sounding set with cheaper wood. I didn't really care about the sparkle finish (though it was very nice), nor did I really need 7 pieces. I would rather have decent wood.

Anyways, when I was looking at the Gretschs, I had a chance to tune up a 10 inch cat maple alongside a 10 inch Renown. The renown seemed to tune lower easier, but it also had a G2 clear on it while the cat maple had, well, stock head. In any case, I couldn't justify spending twice as much based on my 'scientific' comparison - maybe I'll upgrade in a year or two.

Also, the Gretsch stock snare is miles ahead of the stock PDP - much nicer tone to me.

So, in the end, I definitely like the cat maples over the X7's. I'm not having any second thoughts in my head about these like I did with the PDP's. The X7 is a very nice set, just not for me.

Here are the new cats:

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

• Members

That finish is beautiful! It reminds me of my first kit, a no name that had the same (basically) color, only not as nice.

I dont know much about the Cats, nor X7's but I think you made the right choice. Play the hell outta them, and enjoy!

• Members

There was an orangy-gold sparkle Renown Maple kit at my mom n pop today. I was lookin' at that. I needed a bass drum head and a couple odds and ends. They also had a cymbal I liked. I've been on the quest the last few months for a new ride. Everything I listen to online... everything I play in the stores... aren't quite what I'm looking for. If I had to describe what I'm looking for, I'd pretty much just have to say I'd know it when I find it. But they had a 21" HH Vintage Ride that sounded pretty damned good. He wants to give me a deal on it too.

I'm almost thinking what I want is an old A. Something from the 60's.

• Members

That finish is beautiful! It reminds me of my first kit, a no name that had the same (basically) color, only not as nice.

I dont know much about the Cats, nor X7's but I think you made the right choice. Play the hell outta them, and enjoy!

Exact same thing for me too... my first kit had that same style color, except it wasn't as nice, except I still have it too. Ah well though. Very sexy looking kit! I looked it up on musiciansfriend and it was one of the best rated, most rated kits on there. I think I know what my next kit is gonna be. :thu:

Archived