How to make my snare sound a bit better.

TamaDrummer0

• Members

Ok, I have a Tama Imperialstar and it's a great set. I have Evans EC2's clear on my toms and I can tune them great but its always my snare. Its a metal one and I have an Evans EC2 Frost Snare batter. Do you have any tips how to tune it better. I tune the bottom head fairly tight, and the top head fairly tight, and tighten the snares halfway about. Thanks

• Members

Ok, I have a Tama Imperialstar and it's a great set. I have Evans EC2's clear on my toms and I can tune them great but its always my snare. Its a metal one and I have an Evans EC2 Frost Snare batter. Do you have any tips how to tune it better. I tune the bottom head fairly tight, and the top head fairly tight, and tighten the snares halfway about. Thanks

Can you be more vague? lol

What does it sound like now?

Do you want it higher or lower as far as the pitch?

Do you want more ring or less ring?

Without this info, it's hard to tell what you want.

I personally don't like any 2 ply heads on my snares. They give the drum (generally) more of a "thud" then a "crack". Single ply coated for the batter. G1 or Remo Ambassador.

When changing the batter head, change the snare side head also. Even tho its not being hit, it does stretch out and you will lose tone-quality. Change it.

I like Pure-Sound snare wires. To my ears, the really give the drum life. There is a big difference between the snares a drum comes with and these PureSounds. I didnt think there would be a difference, but wow, there is.

I tune my snare in forths. The bottom is tuned a forth higher than the top. A forth is "Hear Comes the Bride" If you want full potential in the volume and tone, tune both heads to the same pitch. Personally i like forths. I get a nice crack and a little pitch bend that give my drum a ring I like. I don't like a dead snare drum. I like tone and ring.

This thread wasn't about my snare drum, but it turned out that way. Maybe I gave you some ideas??? Good luck.

• Members

well with the 2 layered head that should cut the crack down, like just stated...

Try messing with tuning, and how old are the heads? When i took of my bottom one it was in terrible condition. Replacing it killed the unwanted ring it had and made it sound beautiful

• Members

I personally don't like any 2 ply heads on my snares. They give the drum (generally) more of a "thud" then a "crack". Single ply coated for the batter. G1 or Remo Ambassador.

Yep... I'm going to make some general statements since you didn't really give us anything to go by. But I agree with the above. 2 ply heads on snare sounds bad to my ears. I'll also go a step further... Evans coated heads sould like butt! I dig some of their clear heads, especially if I'm not looking for a lot of tone.

I dig a coated ambassador on the batter, and a hazy diplomat on the snare side. But nothing will suck the life out of your snare like a coated Evans.

I'm putting my flame suit on

• Members

Yep... I'm going to make some general statements since you didn't really give us anything to go by. But I agree with the above. 2 ply heads on snare sounds bad to my ears. I'll also go a step further... Evans coated heads sould like butt! I dig some of their clear heads, especially if I'm not looking for a lot of tone.

I dig a coated ambassador on the batter, and a hazy diplomat on the snare side. But nothing will suck the life out of your snare like a coated Evans.

I'm putting my flame suit on

ive got an evans dry head on my snare. Works great:thu:

Then again, my snare is meant to sound very dry and crisp

• Members

Do not take the snare adjustment lightly.

Very minor adjustments make a difference.

Tune the drum like a tom and get it sounding good, then add the snares.

• Members

Don't mess with that Evans Frosty crap. All you need is an Evans Power Center. It's Evans versatile-works-for-everything snare. Tunes up great. Start there.

Make sure you're seating the head right when you're putting it on. (basically finger tighten the head, maybe apply slight tension, then push down on the center of the drum HARD like you're doing CPR, some people even set their snare on the floor and stand on it) then tune it up pretty tight, resonant head not so tight.

also puresound snare wires make a great deal of difference. http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/PuresoundHome.Page?ActiveID=1301

• Members

I've never been able to tell a difference from putting the gorilla act on a head to seat it, and just tuning it to tension. In fact, anymore... I just tune them and know that I'm gonna have to tweek the batters once after a couple hours of playing. Easier for me.

• Members

I'm not familiar with that snare; is it a high quality or beginner model? Cheap snares are thin and have thin hoops which makes for a weak, wimpy sound and difficult to tune and stay in tune.

My starting place would be a coated singly ply unmuffled head for the top, a hazy medium-weight snare side head on the bottom, and some 16-strand bronze snares. It will run you about $40-50, but you will have fresh heads and be ready to go.

Check out the link in my signature for snare tuning advice, and search YouTube for Bob Gatzen videos. I'd say a medium to medium-tight tuning with a decent snare and fresh heads and wires will get you a very good sound.

• Members

Well there you go, TamaDrummer0. Already you've gotten 3 or 4 or 5 different answers. One guy will say don't use Brand ____ heads, another will say Brand ____ is great. One guy will say 2-ply heads are the sh!t, another will say they suck. Tune your SD this way. No, tune it that way.

:confused:

The answer is: you'll just have to experiment and try different heads and tunings. Your particular SD is probably different than what any poster on this thread has, so it will sound different than what they're playing, even if you use the exact same heads and tuning as they do!

Sure, there are some basic/general "rules" to start with, some of which has been posted here. But realize that there is no "best" way in the end except whatever gets you to the sound that YOU like - and no one will know that but yourself.

More often than not it takes patience, trial & error, and a bit of luck to get a good drum sound that you'll like. There's really no getting around it. THAT'S the main thing to keep in mind.

Also realize that once you get the sound you like, later you may want a different sound, so you'll have to buy other heads and use other tunings. Don't be afraid to try things, because that's how you learn.

Archived