moment of floor tom zen...

WillyRay

• Members

I tried out the new cymbals in the concert hall today. Perfection. The time and energy paid off. While I was there, I figured I'd take the opportunity now that the semester is over to put new heads on the Yamahas. These are pretty nice drums, Maple Custom Absolute is the model, I think, and they've always treated me well.

So, there I am in this intensely resonant concert hall, lights partially dimmed in the house, I've already done the batter and resonant heads on the snare and the 10 and 12 toms, and the reso on the 14 floor. I'm putting the batter head and rim back on the 14 and I've tensioned the lugs to finger-tight when I notice a little piece of dust-bunny entrails in between the head and rim. That won't do, so I give it a good hard exhale of breath.

The whole drum goes "Hooooom". Oooh. Shivers down the spine. The whole building is empty and quiet, the hall is pin-drop-from-the-back-row quality, and I can just feel this drum vibrating purely from the motion of my breath. Crystal clear, about an octave or a fifth below where you'd actually pitch the drum, but a clean tone nonetheless.

I spent the new 5 minutes blowing this magical combination of maple, chrome, coated ambassador and acoustically-sound architecture. Sweet. One of those moments where you suddenly get a reminder of who you are and where you belong. I {censored}ing LOVE being a drummer.

/w

• Members

I love moments like that... but i would also recommend for no one else to try this, because no one but you will get that satisfaction out of that sound, my last moment of zin was a loose snare drum batter head, loose reso, just past wrinkles on the reso, and plenty of wrinkles on the batter, the snares barley touching, and going at it with a brush, it was beautiful.

Archived