hardware

tomyco

• Members

The very worst piece of hardware you have ever played that was made in the last 20 years . . .

. . . is better than the best you could get when I started drumming.

Ain't that the frickin truth. I remember when those ludwig hercules stands came out. I thought those were the be all end all. Before that, it was cheap single braced, and most of the used stuff was all flat.

Remember those 10" round circles of wood with a little vinyl on top that was a throne? The ones that wobbled all over the place as you played? And the snare stands? The ones that rocked back and forth like a chair? About the only thing I never had issues with when I started was the speed king. And spurs... hell, every bass drum walked away from you as you played back then.

• Members

Ain't that the frickin truth. I remember when those ludwig hercules stands came out. I thought those were the be all end all. Before that, it was cheap single braced, and most of the used stuff was all flat.

Remember those 10" round circles of wood with a little vinyl on top that was a throne? The ones that wobbled all over the place as you played? And the snare stands? The ones that rocked back and forth like a chair? About the only thing I never had issues with when I started was the speed king. And spurs... hell, every bass drum walked away from you as you played back then.

Yup. The Speed King was what I graduated to--my first excellent piece of hardware.

Pot metal everywhere else.

• Members

I'm still playing on my 10-year-old Sound Percussion boom stands. They don't have any fancy features, but they held up very well and were cheap. Pearl stuff has lasted me 15 years, mostly without problems, but it's pretty heavy. The Pacific stuff looks good for the money, especially the straight stands.

If I were buying from the ground up, it'd be Gibraltar clamps and mounting gear with Pearl boom arms.

• Members

I picked up a used Dixon 900 boom at CG for $35.00. It's barely used, and was labeled as Used Sonor Force Cymbal Boom Stand. Completely solid, heavy as all hell, but holds my 21" ride & 18" crash on the boom from a broken Pacific stand (sux), via Gibralter multi clamp.

Look for used stuff.

• Members

I think there was a point made early on in a post, and has been lost.

The pedal should be based on feel. Since it's an interface, go with the highest quality that you can afford and that feels good.

The hat stand is similar, but into as crucial.

Then you get to the stands and saddle. I think these are basically disposable/interchangeable. The good stuff will last longer, and be easier to fix, but in the end, it only serves to hold a cymbal.

So, if a cymbal stand fails, you can still go on. If your pedal fails, your stuck kicking your kick-drum.

Archived