help me decide?

tomyco

• Members

I am new to drumming in fact I don't even play drums, I wanted to get a used (because I can't afford a new set) high end drum set for my home studio. My thoughts were to have a good set for when I invite drummers over to play on my original songs. (I also plan on taking lessons myself)

I've been looking at mapex Pro M, I can get a 5 pc used Pro M with hardware in very good condition for $900.00, then of course I'm going to need good cymbals, so it will get up there in price.

I just came across a Yamaha Custom Stage 7 piece (birch,mahogany & Falkata wood). Comes with 700 series hardware, throne and 3 B8 Sabian cymbals. The kit is 4 years old and the asking price is $600.00.

My thought was to sell the cymbals on Ebay and get much better cymbals.

Anyone familiar with this set? I want to get a good set, 1, for recording,

2. Drummers wouldn't be embarassed playing the drums 3. resale, down the road.

I would appreciate all opinions on this set and/or any additional questions I should ask the seller. Thanks!

• Members

The Pro M's a very good kit, but you can find new 4 and 5 piece shell packs for that price. The Yamaha is also a very viable set...or, you can buy Mr. Hofmann's. Be patient, and don't forget to factor new heads into the budget too. Sometimes you can spot deals worth watching on eBay for vintage kits, like this one.

Help you decide? Sure. No problem.

• Members

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom set. Five piece from about 7 years ago and the add on toms from about 5 years ago. The Stage Custom is a VERY decent mid line set from Yamaha. Yamaha produces very round and tunable drums that stay that way for years. Is hard to find a bad Yamaha set or drum. Aside from abuse or neglect.

Mapex Pro M is nothing to sneeze at either. They are Maple shells. Maple is suppose to be more "warmer" sounding then Birch but is hard to tell to the naked ear. Yamaha most recorded set was the Recording Customs which were all Birch. The Birch is suppose to "cut through" more on recording.

So, as you can see it all comes down to personal preference. Both sets are GREAT sets. If you can, play both sets in person. If nothing else just to see if all the parts are there and if it all works. Move the set around, raise and lower the stands, play on it. A good test drive will speak volumes.

There is no "buy this set and you're set" It all really depends on what sound you want. Also be aware that heads and tuning make up more than the type of drums for the most part.

Bottom line, both of these sets will work very nice as long as they are in decent shape. Choose what works for you! Hope this helps.........

Archived