Cissy Strut ... video lesson

drummercafe

• Members

I'm sharing my 15-minute video lesson on DCTV this week where I cover the legendary linear groove to "Cissy Strut" by The Meters. I've notated the groove for you as well as break down each limb and show you how to put it all together. Besides the coordination aspects, I get into the feel of the groove as Ziggaboo played it on the original 1969 single release, plus show you a few other ways you could interpret, play and apply the groove.

In the broadcast, after the lesson, I share live performance footage of Steve Jordan and Stanton Moore each demonstrating their approach to the groove and the song.

And in case there is any concern or question, DCTV is and always has been free.

• Members

Thanks for sharing, very informative and educational!

I also really enjoyed the summer NAMM videos. The info on the Yamaha PHX was very cool. I didn't know that much about them, even from their website!

The Aquarian interview was very insightful too. I used a Studio X on my stock snare and used one before on and old snare one time. The only thing is he mentions started selling the heads in 89' and then later says they been making heads for 30 years? I guess he meant 79? Again thanks for sharing!

• Members

What are those sticks you're using at the end of the lesson? They look like they have a few inches of brush at the end. (Then again, I need glasses!)

Those were some old Regal Tip Blasticks that I was using. A type of multi-rod with plastic strands grouped together. It's in between a stick and a brush.

Thanks for checking out the footage; glad to hear some people are digging it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived