Anyone use a practice pad frequently?

CraKaJaX

• Members

No offense to the poster who uses one, but using a practice with bearings in order to achieve a snare sound is one of the worst things that you can do for yourself. It clutters up the sonic space, and doesn't allow you to hear the difference between when you are playing clean and when you aren't.

Mirror = as was said.

The RF pads are great because they're made of gum rubber, which doesn't lose its elasticity. It will bounce the same forever. And again, the double sided is the way to go. Otherwise, get the one sided and a phone book. Should do you well.

Also, forgo the practice pad every now and then and pull out the pillow. I'd say at lease every few times you use the pad. Pillow practicing is like to the "hard" side of the practice pad as the "hard" side is to the "bouncy" side. It's amazing what the pillow can do for your chops.

• Members

No offense to the poster who uses one, but using a practice with bearings in order to achieve a snare sound is one of the worst things that you can do for yourself. It clutters up the sonic space, and doesn't allow you to hear the difference between when you are playing clean and when you aren't.

Also, forgo the practice pad every now and then and pull out the pillow. I'd say at lease every few times you use the pad. Pillow practicing is like to the "hard" side of the practice pad as the "hard" side is to the "bouncy" side. It's amazing what the pillow can do for your chops.

I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I think the snare sounding pad is very cool. I first found out about it when a guy I know who is a great rudimental snare drummer showed me his. He played on the Blue Devils snare line when they won the whole enchilada. I think it it's easier to hear and is more precise than the thud of regular pads.

Bottom line is I haven't met a practice pad yet that feels like a real drum. Some do more than others. They're a great tool. Pick one you like and practice, practice, practice.

Practicing on a pillow is also for some and not for others. It goes totally contrary to the teachings of Joe Morello, Jim Chapin, Jeff Queen, and Dom Famalauro who emphasize using the rebound of the head instead of lifiting up on each stroke. Makes sense to me. I really question the benefit of it, but some drummers like it. If it works for you ...

To each his own.

• Members

I use a practice pad every day.I am always working on something. I spend a lot of time on conference calls. I mute the phone and practice. I find it very easy to work on exercises and listen at the same time. I also travel with one. I find playing very quietly in the hotel room is great for my feel and touch.

• Members

Is buying a pad that actually SOUNDS like a snare really worth it? If I wanted a snare sound, I would buy a snare... but I want a practice pad. I think the HQ RealFeel looks the best imo. 12', double-sided, and "Real Feel!"

Care to say what you use?

12" Real Feel single sided.

• Members

Practicing on a pillow is also for some and not for others. It goes totally contrary to the teachings of Joe Morello, Jim Chapin, Jeff Queen, and Dom Famalauro who emphasize using the rebound of the head instead of lifiting up on each stroke. Makes sense to me. I really question the benefit of it, but some drummers like it. If it works for you ...

To each his own.

No reason that you can't practice both ways. You won't hurt yourself.

• Members

I'm thinking about buying one just to practice the basic rolls, rudiments, etc when I can't get to playing my kit for some reason. The big reason I can think of is school and late at night. I think it would help a bit if I had something to practice is while I was gone for 8 months of the year, or when I'm bored at 2 in the morning. Does anyone use one?

Use pads?? Religiously! :thu::thu:

Archived