Acrolite vs. Supraphonic?

ulankfan

• Members

I was recently at another drummer's studio, and I saw that he had an acrolite and supra. (Both were 5x14.) They had the exact same heads (top and bottom) and were tuned just about the same. (The supra was a tad higher.) To my ears, the acrolite had a little more "honk" or "bite" to it. (I know that is a poor description.) It wasn't just that the acro was a bit brighter, but it had a little more "metallic ring" in the residual note. Does that make any friggin' sense? Anyway, they were still very close, which surprised me since there is a substantial price difference.

I know what you meant. I used to have a LM 400 that used to be my sister's that she used for band practice. I now have an Acrolite. I like Cheese's and Thing descriptions. Is there a Large difference in sound?? No not really. It's kind of the thing that if you were to listen to them both side by side, you could kinda tell a difference. I kinda prefer the Supra. But if I can only have my Acrolite till whenever, then I can be happy with that.

The Supra can be tuned to sound more refined and crisp, like a band concert snare but then can put another head on and lower the tuning and have a nice rock kit snare sound. The Acro has just a tad more "Throat" or "Beef" sound to it. I want to say my LM 400 was a 5.5" X 14". I could get it sound beefier too.

Basics: Both snares were used in SOOOOO many songs from the 50's, through the 80's and into the 90's and is still being used today. Both snares have the "snare drum" sound you think of in your head when you hear the word snare. THey are both great workhorse snares, meaning they tune easy, stay in tune and can take day per day use. I Prefer the Supra sound over the Black Beauty, at least the ones that I've heard.

The one thing I have heard is that is better to get an older one. In the mid 80's and up until about 2000-01' Ludwig quality control had kinda gone by the way side. Ludwig has been rebuilding it's name and product these past 5-7 years so should be alright today. Is this true Cheese and THing???

Sorry so long and hope this helps......

• Members

ulankfan, I knew you were opening a can of worms here...this debate has raged for decades, and I love it every time!! :lol:

I have a 1960's era Supra that is simply amazing, and from what I've read it could be the Luddalloy blend, as the chrome is flaking. That is very interesting, thanks Thing!! :cool: I do want to add an Acro to my kit as well though so I can finally compare them myself, but I strongly prefer 10 lug snares. 8 lugs just don't seem to give me the same punch and sensitivity, but I just may not know how to tune them correctly. Chaos

• Members

No problem. Now with all this talk, I want to go get myself a 6.5" acrolite. I saw them on Musicians friend not too long ago. Until recently , the only 6.5" acrolite's ever made were for the school system in N.Y.C. A couple had made their way onto Ebay and I had to do everything in my power not to pull the trigger on one. But my force field has powered down and it looks like the dark side is gonna win (yet again)

• Members

i love the supras, and the acrolites are nice as well. i prefer the sound of the supras a bit but if i were to pick up a new snare, it would probably be an acro because of the price difference.

also not to hijack, but has anyone played the newer black beauties made in the last few years? how do they sound compared to the older ones?

• Members

Hey guys,

I haven't heard from my friend today, but thought to open up another can of worms (if I am highjacking the thread please let me know)...

Given the different sounds of the Acrolite (being 5") and the Supra (being 6.5"), and the fact that they are both metal snares, what kind of heads would you recommend?

Of course, choosing heads is due to personal taste, but I understand that metal snares have much more resonance than their wooden counterparts which surely must indicate a sub-set of heads being more appropriate?

I am looking at three different REMO heads that I thought were interesting, and it would be stellar to hear your thoughts. One is Vintage A which should give a very nice sound, but I am afraid of too much resonance, the next one are Ebony Pinstripe and Black Suede X - both being warm and short sustain but perhaps too much 'metal' to fit with the Supra.

Any thoughts? I would like to have a versatile head that is easy to play double strokes on, that can tune low for thumping southern rock or postrock but also go high and snappy for funk and fusion. The Supra seems to be the way to go - being more versatile than the Acrolite thanks to the 6.5", but what about the heads....

Again, sorry if I am moving this tread off topic - I just can't help myself with people like Cheese, Thing and Polar giving such good advice.

Cheers!

/ Fred

• Members

Don't worry 'bout it, you are reviving the thread if anything. The snare size is not what classifies it, it is the finish, and number of lugs...

As for heads, I would go for any single ply coated head, nothing fancy, no dots, or anything, the drum has a muter built in... And for the reso, any 300 snare side will be the norm.

• Members

Anyone actually LIKE the ludwig heads that come on the supras? When i played a Supra for the first time, it was so perfect i was almost afraid to take the Ludwig head off.

I rock stock heads until they die... Just like a new car, I can get better tires, but these will work for now.

• Members

Hey Carroll,

Thank you for the tip and the encouragement - this is a great forum.

A REMO Coated Ambassador should do the trick on the batter side and a Hazy Ambassador (3mil, right?) on the snare side should do the trick - or perhaps the Aquarian satin finish...

How about you other guys? Is there a general agreement that I should stay away from 2 ply on the Ludwig? Perhaps I should try both to find out - one 'heavy' black suede X versus the single ply coated Amassador, I could probably use the same snare side...

Cheers, / Fred

• Members

Right now I have an Evans SD dry coated, and it is the best head I have heard on a supra in 20 years. Its 2 plies (the second is clear) . They have tiny holes punched through around the perimeter to sort of dry out the sound (not much) this gives me the most balanced head I have ever used. It can still ring if you crank her up, but the midrange is where she shines. And its just as durable as any other head I have used. (Of course, with such a bark, I am going through sticks like crazy just because I keep feeling the need to slam rimshots continuously!!!!)

• Members

Right now I have an Evans SD dry coated, and it is the best head I have heard on a supra in 20 years. Its 2 plies (the second is clear) . They have tiny holes punched through around the perimeter to sort of dry out the sound (not much) this gives me the most balanced head I have ever used. It can still ring if you crank her up, but the midrange is where she shines. And its just as durable as any other head I have used. (Of course, with such a bark, I am going through sticks like crazy just because I keep feeling the need to slam rimshots continuously!!!!)

Best head job,no I mean head swap:lol: your snare will ever receive:thu:

• Members

The pre 65's were brass, and thats a different animal altogether

Supers ended production sometime in 1961. After that, they were all Ludaloy until a few brass shells turned up in the 70's. That's why you can't assume that a pre-serial Supra [1961-1963] is a brass Super. The short story is, if it's got a serial number on a keystone badge, it's Ludaloy.

• Members

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the help, and it does indeed look like it is a Supra awaiting me in Sweden. And although it naturally has lot of wear and tear it does not look to me as if the chrome has gone bad, no?

Thank you all, and keep your fingers crossed for me when I go to Sweden in two weeks. Cheers!

/ Fred

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

All I can say is that I love my Acrolite. What's really cool is that they will work with almost any heads, but will get you all kinds of different sounds. I've head Coated Ambs, EC1s, Studio Xs, and others on there and every time it sounds different, but in a good way. And then there's the fact that you can tune amazingly low or high! Great drum :).

The only thing I've done with mine is I entirely removed the internal felt damper. I just don't like those or find it nescessary.

Archived