Two Snare or not Two Snare

JayhawkDrummer

• Members

I almost always have something to the left of the hihat. Most of the time it is either a 13 inch hanging tom, or a 14 inch floor. Sometimes it is a snare that is a different flavor than my main. On occasion, it is hand percussion, trigger pads or a keyboard. I have also been known to put a music stand there and put charts up if I'm sitting in with a band that I haven't played with before.

• Members

My badge is shaped like that but is stamped WFL. It's not painted it's like an imprinted stamp. I got it free in college from one of my music professors. I almost got some free Ludwig tympani but she didn't think anyone would want them. Yeah right.....bimbo. Plus, the hardware looks like it's nickel plated or something.

Mine is brilliant , it works w/ everything and I never find myself looking for something it isn't offering , the wood hoop was a big upgrade , but still I loved it before , just love it even more now. It's from 1956 and will be with me till the end.

• Members

About a year ago, I bought a used Acrolite (14"x5") and it has become my main snare. I put a coated ambassador batter on it and it works well with 99% of my music. The Yamaha Steel (14"x5.5") that came with my kit now sits to the left of my hats. I have a Aquarian Studio X coated head on it. The Acrolite has a nice "poppy" but good classic sound. The Steel has little more throaty but slightly "Junky" sound to it.

I didn't really plan on using two snares besides using it for a back up. At times it is really useful for accents and effects. Or I might play the left side snare during a chrous or such. Also a the end of a riff right at the break when you need a good, defined "crack" is nice. Kinda like a flam with one stick over each snare. Hope this helps.

• Members

I usually keep my 13"x7" to the left of the hat, tuned high and tight. With the blues gig, we do a cover of Greg Allmans version of "Whippin' Post", and I use a Yamaha steel, throw off, as a Timbale.

Hey dj, what heads do you have on your Acrolite, batter and reso?
(Sorry to Hi-jack here.):facepalm: Send me a PM please.

Carry on

• Members

I use a 14x5 as my primary and a 10x6 side snare to the left of the hats. The side snare is tuned very high and has a tremendous cut though, great for accents, latin sounds, or just something different. It mounts directly to the rack, no basket.

Archived