I Need A Swing Teacher...

GCR

• Members

You took all the fun out of this thread:lol::poke:
:lol:

I know... but I knew right where it would go w/ this group. ;)

Seriously though... I'm a good drummer, been at this a long time... just can't seem to wrap my head around swing (rock drummer too long, I guess). I learn much better 3 dimensionally.

• Members

OK, you get two chains attached to a cross section of pipe, held up by an A frame pipe buried in concrete for stability. You can use a leather strap as a seat or possible a drilled 2x4.

Oh sorry, you were talking about a porch swing. OK first you build yourself a pipe cage harness strong enough for.....huh...what...oh...sorry. Somebody let me out of the cage for a couple of hours...

OK...what would you like to know, combo, big band, what? Punching a band, feel...what? Feel free to ask away. I will help if I can...

• Members

Step one you can do on your own. We rock drummers think in terms of eighth notes (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &). You can do that with your right hand all day long without thinking about it. Next you throw in the one and 3 on the kick and the 2 and 4 on the snare. Time to put that away for a while.

Start thinking in terms of 1 2-ah 3 4-ah with your right hand. Do it over and over and over until it's just as easy as 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & was. Now forget everything you know about "backbeat." There is very little, if any, 2-4 snare in swing. Just keep that right hand going and close the hi-hat with your left foot on 2 and 4.

Now you're playing basic swing.

After you get that rolling the left hand and kick are about punching the accents.

Pick up some listening.

And here's a MAJOR favor you can do for yourself. Go to http://www.berklee.edu/admissions/general/drums_and_percussion_playalong.html?transposition=Concert&instrument=Drums. Click on "Vamps" and then "Jazz Vamps". Play along to those.

• Members

OK...what would you like to know, combo, big band, what? Punching a band, feel...what? Feel free to ask away. I will help if I can...

Think Sing, Sing, Sing... High Engery Swing Stuff... Not Jazz :yawn:

• Members

Think Sing, Sing, Sing... High Engery Swing Stuff... Not Jazz :yawn:

The main thrust of swing is that 4 on the floor cymbal thing.....1234...ging ging ging ging over and over...the swing comes with the offbeat 1 2 ah 3 4 ah ...ging ging ah ging ging ah. It's a happy bounce that is centered around that whole 1234 thrust. Try not thinking about 2 and 4...it's not a backbeat type of feel. Get in your head that cymbal pattern alone first. Everything else turns into accented punches, horn hits, off beat single shot fillers, bass drum punches. PM me if you care to and we'll discuss the intricacies of driving different types of swing bands...:thu:

• Members

The main thrust of swing is that 4 on the floor cymbal thing.....1234...ging ging ging ging over and over...the swing comes with the offbeat 1 2 ah 3 4 ah ...ging ging ah ging ging ah. It's a happy bounce that is centered around that whole 1234 thrust. Try not thinking about 2 and 4...it's not a backbeat type of feel. Get in your head that cymbal pattern alone first. Everything else turns into accented punches, horn hits, off beat single shot fillers, bass drum punches. PM me if you care to and we'll discuss the intricacies of driving different types of swing bands...
:thu:

AKA..."what Doug said." :thu:

• Members

The actual swing rhythm is indefinable, but you know it when you hear it. It lives somewhere between dotted-eighths and sixteenths and triplet eighths. That's why most swing charts don't even try to write it, they just put straight eighths and write "swing." For melodic instruments (drums, too, but to a lesser extent) it's also the inflection a swing player gives to the notes, louder on the off beats and softer on the beats.

So ya gotta listen. And that's why the Basie band is a good beginning textbook.

Listen to how, such as in the above clip, one section can lag behind another by the tiniest margin yet all are playing together. Then listen to "Li'l Darlin'" and marvel at how an entire 16-piece band can all be just that tiny smidgen late, yet everyone is doing it all at the same time, perfectly together.

That's brutally hard, but hardest for me when I played with a big band was for everyone to stay on the front edge of the beat on up-tempo numbers.

It all looks, and sounds, so easy.

One thing my teacher had me do was play any page out of Stick Control swinging. Once you get some swing feel happening with the rhythm, put in the inflection--not so much by accenting the off-beats but lightening up on the on-beats.

• Members

???

In a blues shuffle, there are 4 sets of triplets. Instead of explaining a triplet, just tell them there are 12 over 4 beats.

12th notes...lol

The second part of my explaination was way off though...

Anyhow, the difference between a blues shuffle, and swing, isn't that much...the feel is there.

• Members

Yeah. But.....

+1, start listening to a lot of the greats. Also remember that in jazz the feel is a triplet or swung 8th note, so feel that subdivision when you're swinging. And don't be afraid to be totally loose.

Sometimes to swing, ya gotta play more 16ths feel: ONE e a UH TWO e a UH.

And you also have to know how to swing simple quarter notes. Think about playing something like Mr.P.C. at high bebop tempo. There's simply no room to play anything but quarters! But if those quarters are straight instead of swing, it'll sound like crap. And it's gotta be clean, so loose does not quite work either.

• Members

Got the perfect swing tune for you to listen to...very simple...stright and to the point. The big band feel and everything, with horn hit accents and a good drive. Don't laugh now...go rent yourself or watch on AMC...Escape from New York. In there, find the segment with Ernest Borgnine in the cab (or even at the end with Donald Pleasance) when he listens to the theme from "American Bandstand" Good hard swing tune with lot's of jump!!!

Here's another rendition but it has the same feel...classic swing...

http://www.televisiontunes.com/American_Bandstand.html

http://cinema-free.blogspot.com/2008/08/escape-from-new-york.html

• Members

Just as a general rule. Most rock drumming is very bass drum, snare oriented, so listening to swing music is critical because your ear is used to hearing boom-chick or strong weak. Like others have said, swing is driven more from the ride cymbal and the hi hat, where the ride cymbal is subtle and the hi hat is a strong chick that propels the rhythm, so your ear hears weak, strong. Also like other have said, you have to put your mind into thinking triplets, but still being able to deliver a solid quarter note pulse/feel. A good book for you to look into would be Ed Soph's book, "Musical Time/A Source Book for Jazz Drumming." It takes through jazz/swing at a very slow pace that would give you a strong foundation to work from. The play a long would help you tremendously with your ear training as well as coordination. The DVD would help you visually.

Here's kinda of a taste from the book.

A simple place to start would be set your metronome to a quarter note equals 70 bpm. Play quarter notes on your ride cymbal and be aware of the upstrokes as well as the downstokes to make the 1/4 sound even.(This is what the other musicians in the band are listening to). Feather the bass drum on the quarter note pulse, then use the following heel toe techinque for playing the hi hat. You start with you heel up and it goes down on one and the toes come up. On two, the toes goes down and the heel comes up in a rocking fashion making sure that two and four are strong nice chicks. Once you get that down and dynamically everything is even except to the two and four chick on the hi hat(which is louder) drop in a couple of snare drum notes with your left hand on the third part of a triplet. (a or let) You be swingin.

• Members

Thanks All For The Great Advice... I will be taking it. I may even come visit Carm a time or two. ;)

Attached is a clip for the title song on the new album... This new album, although we still have that "punk" influence, is going to pull a lot of inspiration from dirty rock blues, Big Band Swing, and Straight rock...

So, the clip is the tentative intro to Jezzebelle... It was recorded all in my Zoom H4 (Which I'm actually getting pretty good w/ that little thing. It took a lot of trial and error, but I found a way to get a good drum sound from my kit w/ just the 2 mics) It's "Inspired" by Sing, Sing, Sing...

Archived