How do you prepare for the GC drum off?

dwdrummer732

• Members

Yeah that kindof threw me off a little bit last year. To get ready I was practicing on my 5 peice with 2 toms mounted on top of the bass drum. I knew they'd have a 5 piecer. However, the kit they had was set up with the 2 toms to the left of the bass drum. Some of the licks I had worked up on my kit were harder to pull off in that configuration. I think a few of them I just had to not do.

Good experience though.

Drums solos can be good if they're musical and not just a flurry of fast notes.

Working up a solo and performing it is good experience for any aspiring drummer IMHO.

• Members

You could bring your own bass pedal and sticks and had five minutes to set up. I believe when I played it was a fusion sized Starclassic Performer with Paiste Signature cymbals (two crash, hihat, ride, china).

It was fun for me because I hadn't used a china in years or Paiste cymbals. A few of the drummers were wondering why I was hooking up an old 5000 single pedal when I could have used GC's Iron Cobra doubles (I had never used a double pedal at the time).

Beyond that, one of the other entrants, who played a real jazz-inspired solo, complimented me on my playing, as I started it off with a jazzy intro. He also commented on how I was the only other drummer to use hearing protection!

• Members

When i worked there, i didn't attend ONE single drum off. I had school on those days, so suck THAT!

And yes, they were mostly douches with double bass chops.

+1. The only one (besides me) who used a single bass changed the whole set, it took about 10 min. and he pissed the tech guy off.

Archived