New snare demo...magnesium

gcdrummer

• Members

Here's a little quick video of me messing around on a magnesium snare I'm demoing from McKenzie Drums. Don't judge the drum by my playing, I recorded this on my digital cam and only did one take. I really like it, it's a lot like the Ti snares I've played, but a tad darker. The shell is .057" thick and weighs 15 ounces. I think it's a prototype, only one around, type drum right now. It's a cool snare, very lively, nice ring, meaty and a little dark.

• Members

Here's a little quick video of me messing around on a magnesium snare I'm demoing from McKenzie Drums. Don't judge the drum by my playing, I recorded this on my digital cam and only did one take. I really like it, it's a lot like the Ti snares I've played, but a tad darker. The shell is .057" thick and weighs 15 ounces. I think it's a prototype, only one around, type drum right now. It's a cool snare, very lively, nice ring, meaty and a little dark.

Uhh... how can I a snare be made of magnesium? Or is that just a name?

• Members

The shell is made from magnesium, same technique as Ti...rolled and welded.

Here is a link to the guy's site.

Thanks D...I was being lazy.

Yeah but if you've ever taken a chem class you know the properties of magnesium,,, not quite drum material, I would think at least.

Hopefully it won't get close to any fires:eek:

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't be smoking around that thing if'n I were you.

Magnesium tarnishes slightly in air, and finely divided magnesium readily ignites upon heating in air and burns with a dazzling white flame. Normally magnesium is coated with a layer of oxide, MgO, that protects magnesium from air and water.

Scrape a little sliver from a spot unnoticed and set it aflame.

• Members

If it is anything like the fire starter sticks, it wont ignite unless it is shaved.

Yep. Know why they call them "mag wheels?" Magnesium is used in brazillions of applications where a lightweight metal is required, notably in aviation.

The flashpoint of magnesium is 1173F. You'd need a blowtorch to start that thing burning.

EDIT: I see another source lists the flashpoint/ignition temperature of Mg at 850F.

OTHER EDIT: I meant to mention in the first place, grain silos can explode from the dust generated from wheat. I'm not to concerned about my local bakery taking out the block.

• Members

Yeah but if you've ever taken a chem class you know the properties of magnesium,,, not quite drum material, I would think at least.

A lot of stuff these days has magnesium in it...but I know what you mean.

It's probably magnesium-chloride or somejunk, not pure magnesium.

• Members

How wonderful! Can't wait to take it into the studio so the recording engineer can put duct tape all over it, because he just LOVES all that ringing....

Seems to really ring! Thats a different metal alloy to be using isn't it? Ever been one made from Magnesium before, or is this a first?

Archived