Here's how to tear up a 4 piece kit

TwistedZ

• Members

I hate to nit pick, but actually he's playing a 5 piece kit.

Yes, I agree that technically it is a 5 piece kit. When you include the aux snare to his left but the main kit was only a 4 piece and he went to the aux very sparingly. The entire piece was based on the 4 piece set up.

I am not a fan of wankery at all. I find most of what JoJo does to be very musical and generally theam based. Busy? Yes, but still musical. In fact I don't really care for his drum and bass stuff because IMO don't find it to be very musical.

• Members

That's what I was thinking. All he does for the song is play in the same tempo.

Though, that clip doesn't really represent a "song". It's a 2-bar synth loop. In context, he's demonstrating the application of lots of different things that he's teaching on his dvd. IMO it's an amazing performance.

/w

• Members

I find most of what JoJo does to be very musical and generally theam based. Busy? Yes, but still musical. In fact I don't really care for his drum and bass stuff because IMO don't find it to be very musical.

That's where I come from. He's obviously a great drummer, but to me anyway, the music in the band he plays in is not to my liking. I'd like to hear him in a setting with musical music and see what he sounds like.

To my ears, he sounds like a one trick (fast hands) pony.

But, to each his own.

OT: Some of the same people on here who were so upset about political discussions breaking out, now, on almost every thread, turn it into a {censored}ing fruit thread. Please take that crap to another forum.

• Members

yeah, if that had been just a 4-piece he'd a sucked.

I thought the drums sounded just beautiful. and I liked the backlighting that made his head glow.

As for the playing, well, that's Jojo. He's not just a marvelous drummer, he's a fine musician. Take away the chops and you still have great ideas and charming phrasing. I'd love to buy him a beer.

• Members

I hate to nit pick, but actually he's playing a 5 piece kit.

The man obviously has technique out the ying yang. I've watched a handful of vids you guys have put out there. I don't get it. He plays a lot of notes, but the music his band plays is lame. I don't understand the fascination. There are many other great drummers out there with chops at least as good as his who play in bands that play real music, like Billy Cobham, Steve Smith, Rod Morgenstern, Dennis Chambers, to name a few.

I mean, does he even play for the song? To me it just sounds like a ton of notes.

Great technique, but not very musical IMHO.
:)
:

I felt like his playing was totally musical. "Playing for the song" totally depends on what kind of song is being played. An electronic loop in the background such as what Jojo was playing with lets the drummer express him/her self however they wanted to. The decision to play a more abstract solo such as what Jojo played rather than a groove was a decision he could make, since the track he was playing to could go either way.

And let's not talk about "real music." All music is real music.

Personally, I really like his band.

• Members

Doesn't even get "drummer face" dammit.....

Yeah he does, you just can't see it past his nose!:facepalm:

Watching him is reminiscent of watching Buddy play, just more modern version. I'd love to see Jojo and Buddy do a drum battle.

Musically, I think Jojo plays more musical drums than a lot of other drummers, Thomas Lang for instance. Jojo's very technical but in those instances on the video in reference here when he's playing time it grooves like a mutha!

Also, on his DVD, there are some clips of him playing around the streets of NYC that are very cool. Not just technical chops but some great grooves - one he even dances to!

Archived