DW Kit Builder

Miskatonic

• Members

Does this thing ever finish loading when you click on the "get a quote" link?

Is it possible to order individual drums straight from a company like Mapex or Tama?

I checked out the Mapex Pro M and the Mapex Saturn kits, I love the look of them, but the drum sizes aren't to my liking. :(

• Members

I don't know much about the DW kit builder, but I do know the Mapex product lines pretty well, and the sizing is quite flexible and diverse. And yes, you can order "component drums," but there's no telling how long you'll wait for them.

• Members

I've decided on the Mapex Saturn Jazz Kit. I can buy individual drums to add to it right from one of the online drum stores. Transparent Cherry Red.

Interstate music carries mapex component drums, so does MF - both somewhat limited.

In any case, on custom order drums, it'll take 90-180 days, unless they have one sitting in a warehouse.

Mapex makes some awesome drums...

• Members

The DW kit builder was designed by a madman... I have never been able to get all the way through it to get a quote, but once in band camp I head about a kid that did...

I've never had a problem with it - other than it seems to always quote way too damn high...

I get sticker shock and laugh, and close the window.

• Members

I've decided on the Mapex Saturn Jazz Kit. I can buy individual drums to add to it right from one of the online drum stores. Transparent Cherry Red.

Prepare to wait as long as 6 months for that.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but I just went though all this when I was trying to order a Saturn Jazz kit. I was told there were NO finishes in stock in the 20" kick sizes. :cry:

• Members

I was just emailed by Jack at George's DS this morning and my 13" tom is to be at Mapex's state side warehouse on November 11th. I bought my kit and ordered that drum July 7th. Got a gig on the 27th or 29th, can't remember- it's a Saturday. At least I'll have it for that. Big club= Full Kit!:thu:

• Members

I was just emailed by Jack at George's DS this morning and my 13" tom is to be at Mapex's state side warehouse on November 11th. I bought my kit and ordered that drum July 7th. Got a gig on the 27th or 29th, can't remember- it's a Saturday. At least I'll have it for that. Big club= Full Kit!
:thu:

That's kind of like my story...

My 12x9 Tom arrived the night before a show. I already had my kit set up at home, so I "worked" it in, and gave a few runs though a couple of songs real quick, and decided, yep, I could use it.

I literally, took it out of the box and mounted it and played on it...and played on it at the show.

No tuning, no head swaps...nothing - just a moongel to balance the tone of that drum with the other drums (EC2Coated/ECReso) - worked great!

I'd say the 12" had more attack, but nothing major.

• Members

On the Kitbuilder page the quote page will either pop right up or I think there is a link on the page. If that doesn't work, you can email DW's customer service department directly. Speaking of which, how long does it take to get a DW after you order it?

• Members

I bet you could get the same or better from a reputable custom drum shop for less.

So, you think that keller shells would be the same or better than steam bent shells? DW is a complete custom compony, they make every little thing that goes on the kit. Most custom builders are just assembly line workers that make neat finishes. I would just as soon buy keller shells, drill them, edge them, and finish them myself, and cut the middle man out.

• Members

Prepare to wait as long as 6 months for that.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but I just went though all this when I was trying to order a Saturn Jazz kit. I was told there were NO finishes in stock in the 20" kick sizes.
:cry:

Did you have to pay up front?

Archived