"vintage" drummers does this sound like a good deal?

Kevin K Is A OK

• Members

$450 - Slingerland Drums & Zildjian Cymbals - "vintage" - $450

$450

23" Slingerland kick

16"Slingerland floor tom

13" & 12" Slingerland mounted toms

18" Zildjian crash

14" Zildjian high hat

includes cymbal stands, kick pedal, hh pedal

no snare drum, but includes snare stand

clear finish on natural wood grain. darker wood, maybe mahogany?

Remo heads on tomtoms, Evans head on kickdrum

looks like it was posted for 500 earlier and nobody bit, i'm tempted, this seems exactly what i'm looking for, what i need is a second "cheapo" drumset for my second band's practice space.

i don't know much about slingerland, and the seller doesn't have any pictures up. i'm going to go look at them regardless, and also find out what year they're from, what kind of zildjian cymbals (he didn't say symbols so that's a plus), and i have an extra snare drum anyway.

what questions do you think i should ask the seller? (questions specific to vintage drums) although he put vintage in quotes so maybe he just thinks the name slingerland means vintage, when did they stop making drums? did they even stop?

do you think this is worth about 400 bucks? (going to try to talk down to there if i can).

also i hope he just measures like hoop to hoop on the BD and it's 22 and not 23, that would make heads harder to find, but whatever.

• Members

Slingerland vintage sets don't have much value,don't know why. Looked at a set just last week and they are well constructed just like Ludwigs and the plies are the exactly like ludwigs with a Mahogany outer ply but as far as I know of,they were always wrapped. If they truly are vintage,the shells should a have a reinforcement ring to support the 3 ply shells. Maybe Cheese will chime in to advise you.

• Members

Slingerlands do in fact have value. They've gone up in recent years. Used to be you could pick up a 60's three piece for $500-$600. Now they're $700-$1000 depending on the wrap and the shape. So they're similarly valued to kb Ludwigs.

Look up the badge information. There is plenty of it out there. 60's stuff had a gold Niles badge on it. Typically, the toms from this era didn't have badges. Only the bass drum did.

Since this kit has two toms, it's probably a 70's kit, which is of lesser value. But the early 70's shells mimicked Ludwig's of the same era. They were in close competition with each other. The tom mount may well be useless. They wore out and got sloppy. You can get new replacement slingy parts from JP2 Enterprises, and the whole mount can be found on ebay easily enough.

They should sound similar to a Ludwig kit from the same period. If they are in decent shape, the price sounds good, assuming it's an early 70's kit.

• Members

Yeah the thing looks cool but even for a good price 400 bucks is too much for me to spend right now. I need to curb the spending.

For now, for practice with my second band I have a piece of crap groove perc. set that i wrecked by beating the {censored} out of and also wrecked in a car wreck. i just need a handful of things to get it up and running again, might just do that.

thanks cheese. awesome "location" by the way, talking heads rule

• Members

I have a mid-'70's Slingerland set that I like very much. No problems with the tom mounts, but my set doesn't get broken down and moved very often.

I paid $400 for the drums with cases and Slingerland Yellowjacket bass drum pedal (no cymbals or stands) in 1984.

• Members

I'll also testify there was never a 23" Slingy bass - but otherwise sounds very much like a 70s kit.

Unless it's just beat to crap, it's worth every nickel of $450 - hell, you could part it out and double your money.

If you're not buying it, PM me the contact info and I will! :wave:

kestrou

Archived