OT: Flat screen monitors

twosticks

• Members

Hey Guys! Right now me and Mrs Sticks are in our emptied out trailer. They are supposed to come Monday and take off with our current home and then pull in our new place about three days after that.

My wife wants to update our current monitor with a flatscreen computer monitor when we setup the computer in the new place. What are your thoughts on what to get or look for when replacing our current 2002 HP monitor?? She is looking at mostly saving space. We don't need a hi-tech thing. Just something that is smaller in space wise than what we have now.

Can be 15" or equal size, we saw some at Wal-Mart for $128. (Acer?) Are those of decent quality? We just want something to use with the computer that uses less space. My wife wants to have the office take up less space in the new place is the main point.

MANY thanks for any advice! We welcome any advice. Thanks in advance!

• Members

I currently use a 19" widescreen dell that I got for $125 off craigslist. So I saved about a hundred bucks shopping used. My local craigslist now has a 17" dell for $95. If you don't want used shop best buy, they'll at least give you the year warranty. And it does clear up space pretty well, I actually fit my microkorg in the empty space and have a larger monitor.

• Members

Bought a 17" demo for 160, bolted it down to a table in a painting van 6years ago. Van is gone but, still have the screen and it works. It's a LCD type of screen-- say's MAG at the bottom, so I figuring it's some off brand.

That was a pretty popular brand for CRTs. Didn't even know they were still around.

• Members

www.3btech.net today has a 17" LCD for $99, no rebates. We deal with them on a near-daily basis here at work (computer store). Plus they're doing giveaways all day if your order numer ends in 00, 500, or 1000.

Aside from that, most places have cheap LCDs today if you want to go to a store and fight for one (if there's any left at this point). 19" for $79-$129 not too uncommon.

If you do want to put up a fight for one. go to www.pinkfriday.org and they're going to be selling them at some point today for a ridiculously cheap price.

• Members

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in a no-name brand LCD, but that's all up to you. Personally, for the cash, it doesn't get better than Acer. Not top notch LCD's, but more than plenty for the average user and definitely the best value with their low price tags. From monitor-to-monitor, though, it's hit-or-miss; read reviews to find out what you're looking at.

And... I've never trusted Tiger-Direct. Out of the hundred-ish people I've know who've ordered from them, very few have left satisfied... and definitely none that had a problem with their order that required contacting customer support. But then again, I've been out of the building scene for a few years, they might have improved service since then.

Ooh, always check a store's policy on dead-pixel returns. While some let you return if 4+, 8+, or 10+ pixels are dead, some of them out there may require that up to half the screen be dead before you can get a new one on warranty.

• Members

why are you posting this on a drum forum?!

Because I have been on here for a few years and have gotten to know some of the other members on here, at least on-line. I know that many of the others work in IT or with computers for their day job. That is what makes this forum a little different than others. Many of us will also talk some about other things going on in our life. That is what the "OT" is for as well. It stands for "off topic", so those that wish to pass and move on can do so.

Thanks for the help and advice to everyone! We have updated the memory and Ram to this computer and is set up how we want it except now she wants a flatscreen monitor. I will check out the links and other places mentioned. Thanks again to all!:thu:

• Members

The best way to shop for something like flat screens, which vary GREATLY in quality even within the same brand, is generally
. Anything with 1000+ positive ratings is a pretty good buy. 500+ ain't bad, either.

Agreed. I did all my monitor purchasing from them when I was the IT Manager at my last job. Very simple to use their site, lots of honest reviews (look for the most eggs in the rating). You can sort by size, brand, price, just about anything you can think of.

Hanns-G and Acer are good low-priced monitors.

Here's there list of LCD's between $100-$200, sorted by price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020%204017&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Word of advice would be to make your decision based on space. If you can fit a 17" or 19", don't even bother looking at 15".

• Members

+1 on laptop + port repliator (ie, dock) if you want to use a larger/external monitor, mouse and keyboard.

I work from home with my Thinkpad. In my office it's docked with a 21" monitor, keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, wirless router, etc attached. I can also disengage it and use it in bed, the TV room, out by the pool, etc.

We still have an old Dell desktop but that will be the kids soon. I've always been a PC person, but I plan to get a Mac laptop so I can make use of Garage Band ;)

• Members

Because I have been on here for a few years and have gotten to know some of the other members on here, at least on-line. I know that many of the others work in IT or with computers for their day job. That is what makes this forum a little different than others. Many of us will also talk some about other things going on in our life. That is what the "OT" is for as well. It stands for "off topic", so those that wish to pass and move on can do so.

Thanks for the help and advice to everyone! We have updated the memory and Ram to this computer and is set up how we want it except now she wants a flatscreen monitor. I will check out the links and other places mentioned. Thanks again to all!
:thu:

alright fair enough:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bought the 15" Acer from Wal-Mart. Wife saw it for a minute. I remarked how it was a little smaller than our old CRT monitor. She said she would take it back for the 20" Acer. Next day came back with an HP w2007 20" flatscreen. SHe said I said HP was a better brand. Is much better. Like the difference between video and DVD! Crystal clear and viewable from all angles. Was worth the upgrade. Thanks for all the advice! :thu:

Archived