Is Crack Ok?

Carpathian

• Members

I've been browsing ebay and occasionally I will come across a cut, cracked, or drilled cymbal. Referring only to those tiny cracks and the cymbals that have been repaired to prevent further damage. Exactly what do each one of these do to a cymbal's sound quality. I'd like to try out many cymbals without a large investment but will these cymbals give me a fairly accurate representation of the cymbals natural sound. I understand each cymbal is on a case to case basis but just an overview of what to look for and what not to. Or just stay away completely. Thanks - Carpathian

• Members

Most people will say stay far far away from a cracked cymbal, but to be honest, I have several cracked cymbals in my arsenal that sound no different than they did before they were cracked. If you can get a really stupidly great deal on a cracked cymbal, I'd say go for it, but buy with the understanding that the crack could get worse over time and eventually make the cymbal unplayable. That said, none of my cracked cymbals have gotten any worse in the last 5 years, so you might get lucky like I have (although I rarely use those cymbals anymore.)

• Members

Personally, I would just stay away from a cracked cymbal. $5.00 - $10.00? Maybe, I guess. But why? It's basically broke. Depending on how hard you play will depnd on how fast it gets bigger, plus where it's at on the cymbal will make a difference. If a cymbal is cracked on the edge, and it's struck close to or next to it, there is a difference in it's sound and it's wash, at least I hear it or think I do.

If it's the best you can do for now, and it's minor, then I understand why your contemplating buying one. But don't expect it to last very long if you play a lot.

JMO.

• Members

I've had a few used cymbals that had that hairline spider web cracks around the bell, I assume from someone having it tightened down to tight. I had no problems with it, the cracks never got bigger, and were hidden under the felt anyway. So cracks like that wouldn't bother me at all, especially since I don't bash my cymbals.

Cracks that fallow the lathe in the meat of the cymbal, that would bother me and I would stay clear of those. Little keyhole or bell cracks, no biggie...

• Members

Personally, I would just stay away from a cracked cymbal. $5.00 - $10.00? Maybe, I guess. But why? It's basically broke. Depending on how hard you play will depnd on how fast it gets bigger, plus where it's at on the cymbal will make a difference. If a cymbal is cracked on the edge, and it's struck close to or next to it, there is a difference in it's sound and it's wash, at least I hear it or think I do.

If it's the best you can do for now, and it's minor, then I understand why your contemplating buying one. But don't expect it to last very long if you play a lot.

JMO.

I agree ,cracks do one thing only, that is grow

• Members

i know from my own experience that if the crack is repaired by cutting it out of the cymbal you get weird overtones. these become more prominent depending on the size of the chunk missing.

if the cymbal just has a crack in it, the crack could either bind up when struck and cause a short decay, or just sizzle for like a week.

• Members

i know from my own experience that if the crack is repaired by cutting it out of the cymbal you get weird overtones. these become more prominent depending on the size of the chunk missing.

if the cymbal just has a crack in it, the crack could either bind up when struck and cause a short decay, or just sizzle for like a week.

This was my biggest concern. I wanted to experiment with repaired cymbals only if the sound wasn't off by much. The cracks didn't bother me because if I liked the sound I would eventually replace it if need be. I'm going to pass for now only because the cymbal I was looking at was repaired. I might one day invest in a cracked cymbal if the deal is too good to pass up. I only need a crash/ride to round out my kit but I'm not going to rush that purchase. I thank you all for your knowledge you have provided. - Carpathian

• Members

I have a cracked (round the bell) 10" AA splash that sounds almost as good as new. The crack in my 14" china changed its sound (though it sounded good - still a china) and it kept changing until it cracked to the hole. Cutting a cymbal can fix the crack, but there's definitely an increased chance of cracking afterwards. It's all a matter of ears, but I've yet to hear a "repaired" cymbal that sounds as good as the original.

Archived