Drum overhead mics

tomyco

• Members

I have a 5 piece Mapex Pro M, I have a Shure Beta 52 A, 3 sm 57's and 1 sm 58. I need to get some overhead mics. I don't need or can't afford great ones but looking for two good overhead mics used off of Ebay. Can't anyone make some suggestions? Thanks!

• Members

Shure SM 81's for me. Beringer make a good condenser as well, I have one set up as a room mic.

My Mic set up:

K- Shure Beta

S- 57

T's- 57's

O- 2 81's

Room- Beringer wide mouth ( Recording )

I mix all drum mike tracks, then bleed in the room mic. Makes it warm and fuzzy.

81's are the way to go in my book.

• Members

As a recording engineer... I can tell you that so far, other than the SM81 suggestion, you have been suggested some of the worst mic's on the market :eek:

Used SM81's would be a great choice. AKG C460's or 451's. AT 4051's would be great. A little more expensive, but maybe not if you can find one used, a Rode NT-4 makes for a great overhead. It's stereo and already in a fixed X-Y pattern so it makes set up quick and easy and as you are a drummer (I.e. not a professional engineer) you don't have to worry as much about phase relationship since the X-Y pattern is fixed.

If budget is an issue for any of the mics I suggested, then start with just one. If you are playing live, one overhead is plenty to capture your kit. As your budget allows, get a second one. It's better to get one good mic now then two useless ones right away.

-Tom

• Members

I usually use a couple of AT4050s, but on a budget, I could make do with a couple of Studio Projects B1s, or probably CAD M177 or 179s. Even cheaper, with good word-of-mouth, are the Naiant mics.

Nothing wrong with single overhead, either. As above, a used SM81 is not a bad thing to have around the house.

• Members
As a recording engineer... I can tell you that so far, other than the SM81 suggestion, you have been suggested some of the worst mic's on the market
:eek:

I honestly can't stand SM81s as overheads. They're way too bright and thin for my taste.

• Members

I use Rode NT5s but I use them exclusively for cymbals and stereo imaging. 95% of the sound of my drums comes from direct mics. The NT5s are great for capturing high frequencies but aren't designed to capture full, warm bass response.

It really depends on what you want to get from them. I paid $300 for a matched pair new on ebay.

• Members

I have 2 MXL 604s and they are not bad... especially considering the price. I got em for 69 bucks each on the stupid deal of the day, but normally they are 99 each.

Some of the pro studio guys here will probably talk {censored} on these, but it sounds like you're on a budget. They really aren't bad mics. :thu:

• Members

A good mic is one that sounds good...it's that simple. Oh, and good build quality helps too.

The SM57 is 99 bucks brand new and I couldn't even begin to imagine the amount of albums that have used 1 or more of these. The vocals for MJ's Thriller album were done with a Shure SM7 dynamic mic, which is about 1/10 of the cost of some of the fancy large diaphram condensers out there so yeah it's really just about sound... and I mean that in terms of the mic and the musician. I've always gone by the saying "Garbage in, Garbage out". :thu:

• Members

I honestly can't stand SM81s as overheads. They're way too bright and thin for my taste.

You have to set them real high and real hot. In large rooms I have also hung a choir mic from the ceiling, you just can't run it real hot. That thing picked up a fart in the building next door.:eek:

• Members

sm-57.

SM57 is not ideal as an overhead as it has pretty attenuated lows and highs. It's a good purchase for just about every other drum though and built like a tank. It's also not the most sensitive mic in the world (also why it's great for just about every other drum). However, in a pinch, it could be used.

• Members

I didn't say the SM81's were the best, I just said they were the only mic suggested above my post that I felt was a decent suggestion. If you want to know what *I* typically use for overheads... then here goes (depends on the studio and/or what the rental company has in stock):

Royer 121

Coles 4038

Neuman U67's or U69's.

Neuman M49's (Unless I only have two, in which I'll use the M49's as room mics).

AKG C24

AKG C12's.

Milab DC96b's (love these, but they are kind of hard to find).

DPA (B&K) 4003 (omni) or 4011 (cardiod)

AKG C460 and C451

AKG 414 (older silverfaced model)

Pretty much in that order. The Royer's are the bomb. However, IF you are going to use them live, I'd recommend the 122 as it supports phantom. Ribbons and phantom are usually bad news. Nothing quite like having your nice $2000 ribbon mic blown up by some punk front of house engineer that flips on phantom and melts the ribbon! I don't recommend the 4038 live for the same reason and Coles doesn't make a phantom version.

Also... I almost always choose a mic that can be set to omni or figure-8.

• Members

Quick question,

What makes a mic bad or good?

I always looked at how sturdy it is made,noise, and freq response, and most importantly how does it sound. But what exactly is it that makes a budget mic? Or a high end mic, worth gold?

Here's what I tell many of the interns or assistants that work with me on sessions when they ask me that same question. "There is no bad mic, only bad application".

What I mean by this is... an SM57 makes for a great snare mic. But I wouldn't mic an orchestra with it. Does the fact that I wouldn't mic an orchestra with it make it a bad mic? No... that's just the wrong application. Even a crappy Beringer or Studio Projects mics *may* their place.

A good mic for me is one that sounds like I expect it to sound. Whatever that may be. If I'm looking for a lot of proximity effect, I'll choose a cardioid mic that's capable of being really close to the source. Maybe a RE20 or an SM7 if I'm going for vocals. If I'm going for a juicy mid range with a little air, I may choose a U67. If I want the air on a sax, an M49 works amazingly well.

However... when asked, "What's the BEST mic?" I tell them, "The one that's in the mic closet". I mean... it doesn't matter if a M49 would be perfect for the job if you don't have one to use! If you have 10 SM57's and that's all you can get ahold of, then that's the best mic for the job!

• Members

I think it's important to note when reading the replies in a post like this, that the majority of the responses you're going to get are from people with limited experience and a limited budget. That's ok...but just know what you're hearing.

When you see a list like the one tlester posted, you have to know that you probably can't afford the majority of those mics...and unless you're a pro you probably shouldn't be spending that kind of money on mics anyway unless you are an heir to the Walmart fortune.

Do I drool at the thought of a pair of DPA 4011's as overheads? You betcha! I'd also like to have some U67's and even a pair of KM-140's would get me a little more than excited. But, despite the fact that I'm a pretty serious home recording guy, I don't fool myself into thinking that I'm going to get major label quality just because I buy a $3000 mic.

I agree that it's more the application than the mic.

But I also agree with tlester that A LOT of the mics listed earlier are crapola. Bottom line...just make sure that when you get the answers to your questions, you're also thinking about things like what your budget is, what your realistic goal with them is and who's answering your question.

Now, that rant out of the way, I use a pair of Groove Tubes GT-67 large diaphragm tube condenser mics as overheads. They are Neumann 67 style mics at a small fraction of the cost. I doubt they sound as warm as a U67 if you test them side by side, but I love them and you can get them used for around $300 - $350 each (maybe less if you're real lucky and patient).

Edit: And don't forget that your mic pre is a huge factor in your sound too!

Archived