Zildjian 4rock Cymbal pack and Sabian B8, worth it?

M_C_D

• Members

I currently have a solar 18" crash/ride cymbal and a pair of solar hi-hats. I'm looking to upgrade since I'm starting to get into drums. I saw the zildjian 4rock cymbal pack and it looks like a good idea. It comes with a 16" ZBT Rock Crash, 20" ZBT Rock Ride, 18" ZBT Rock Crash (free after mail-in rebate), and 14" ZBT Rock Hi-Hats. The steep-ish price of 260$ has kinda turned me off of buying it but I figured I'd try to give it another chance, I have a birthday coming up, so I figure I can get family members to send some money my way. Another option I was considering is buying a sabian B8 crash. I'm dirt cheap and completely broke, I don't need something amazing, I just need it to "git 'er dun". Cheaper options are welcome.

So, recap:

A. Is the 4rock cymbal pack worth it?

B. For someone as broke and new to drumming as me, should I opt for the sabian B8 cymbal?

C. Any other options I'm not thinking of?

I'm also considering buying a double bass pedal as well, so if anyone could reccomend a cheap one that'd be great.

• Members

It is my personal opinion (through owning both sets) that the B8's are far better sounding cymbals. The only ZBT's that I could stand are the hi-hats. The ZBT ride especially is just horrible sounding. The B8's are very good for what you pay. As for pedals, look for something used on craigslist.

• Members

I keep waiting to see those damned Wuhans in real life , been quite tempted roll the dice and get a set , but till then a used set of undamaged B8's are cheap and reliable pies (for the bottom of the keeper pile)

I got a set for $100 on CL

also Pacific makes a decent cheap double pedal

I got to run it side by side with a zildjian k dry, and a wuhan 20'' ride, it was damn close. If you have a 5 star drum shop near by, go and see if they have any.

• Members

• Members

I play a B8 ride at practice on the bass players kit. I think it sounds pretty good. I'd use it if it were mine and didn't have my Paiste 3000 ride. I have a ZBT crash cymbal that I'm not too crazy about. I keep it as my 3rd crash and use it at the end of the song for big rock endings. Works fine for that.

The only cymbal I see on craigslist around here are IMHO way over priced for used.

Best thing. Listen to some. If you think they sound good, buy em. If not, don't.

Asking what are good cymbals are like asking what's the best soda pop. Your just gotta try 'em and pick the one that's best for you.

• Members

Best thing. Listen to some. If you think they sound good, buy em. If not, don't.

Asking what are good cymbals are like asking what's the best soda pop. Your just gotta try 'em and pick the one that's best for you.

Awesome advice and very true. YOU have to play and try out and decide for YOUR set. Can always try out in person and then buy on line. If you are really broke, work extra and save money. I'm not trying to be mean. Drums are expensive. Buy one piece at a time if you have to. Look for used and look at gargage sales, pawn shops, paper ads, flea markets etc.

Can always post on here about your choices, but try to educate yourself and listen to what sounds good to you. IMO I wouldn't get roped into buying anything I couldn't afford and you don't have buy a whole cymbal pack at once just to have it all. A good set of hats and all around crash and ride is all you need. Good Luck:thu:

• Members

In my humble opinion, the Zildjian ZBT's are slightly better than B8's. Newer B8 crashes sound like complete and total {censored}, just no tone at all, and they decay waaaaay too quickly.

well technically they're both b8's, and I've never heard a descent budget crash.

Archived