Crash/Ride is there really a cymbal that can do both well?

Craise

• Members

Just wondering...I've been looking into putting together a smaller kit for easier transport to small jams and gigs. I was thinking of trying out using 1 less cymbal than I normally use. Maybe a 16 inch crash and a 18 or 20 inch crash/ride. How are the Zildjian crash/rides? Are they more ride or crash? I guess i would rather have more crash..because I don't ride as much.

I would like to stick to Zildjian but I'm open to others if there is a must have crash/ride out there. I've seen a few A and K crash/rides...but no A customs? Is this right?

Any thoughts? thanks in advance!

:thu:

Keep an eye out for used pre-logo Zildjians. Some are lemons, but the good ones are exactly what you're looking for.

• Members

I may be off base, but it seems larger diameter and thinner ride cymbals work best for this application. Most crash rides I've used are on the thicker side but don't have a defined stick sound, so they sound way too harsh as a crash and way too ringy as a ride.

• Members

As a general rule, I try not to be too agreeable with any one person (especially one with such a potty mouth), but CEM seems to have the same tastes I do more often than not!

The Giant Beats do what you're looking for- they're a soft washy ride, and they crash very nicely. I looked for that elusive crashable/ ride forever and stumbled upon the GB series after seeing Jason McGerr (not sure of the spelling).

Agreed on the Giant Beat point. My 20" is without a doubt the single greatest cymbal I have ever played or heard. I don't know how someone would consider anything else! Hows that for over selling?:wave:

• Members

Good advice indeed. Sound is what it's all about - not marketing label, not even brand name.

That said, I have a Sabian AA SC 18" crash/ride from 20 years ago that sounds great at both functions AND had a great bell sound. So they do indeed exist.

Don't go by whether or not a cymbal has "crash/ride" in it's title -- I've seen "crash/rides" that suck for crashing, and plain 'ole "rides" that are awesome at it. Something like a K light ride or an HHX evolution ride would do wonders.

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I'll be on the look out for a 18 or 20 inch thin ride.

might need to head by guitar center just to check out what they have, as I've been really paying attention to how my own cymbals sound...and I think

I know what I'm looking for now.

As for my style...I'd have to say I go for a Jazzy/Rock type thing...Mitch Mitchell is my drumming hero! I'm hoping for a vintage Zildjian 18 inch thin ride I think...

I've played other brands crashes and they didn't do much for me. But I'll have to check them out at the store again...as they come highly recomended!

Again thanks for you thoughts!

;-)

• Moderators

I use no crashes; my cymbals are just hats and a 21" Zildijan Sweet Ride. As a ride it's somewhat washy and "glassy", not pingy at all... so it sounds great for rock/pop/what-have-you at a reasonable volume, but you wouldn't want to use it as a ride for hard rock or metal or anything. The crash sound is great and very musical.

• Members

All you need is to find the right old (50's-70's) Zildjian Avedis pie...18-20 inches, maybe. 18" at 1550-1650 grams would be just about right. I have one, and I will never sell it for anything!!!

They are available every day on ebay for about $100 a piece. Buy one, if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid and buy another one. They are great cymbals, much more versatile than a lot of modern ones. I find that the ink logos can be misleading about what a cymbal works best for. You have to LISTEN rather than read the logo, and a lot of people can't get into that mindset.

I'm in total agreement here. I have a '70's Adevis 19" that I would consider a "crash / ride". It's a killer cymbal. It's not my main ride, but it is next to it on my kit. I paid $90.00 for it and wouldn't sell it for $300.00 straight up.

• Members

I'm in total agreement here. I have a '70's Adevis 19" that I would consider a "crash / ride". It's a killer cymbal. It's not my main ride, but it is next to it on my kit. I paid $90.00 for it and wouldn't sell it for $300.00 straight up.

Exactly my experience. When you find one that's a keeper, you KEEP IT!!! And there are a few of them out there, it's not as hard as you might think...

My 18" wouldn't sell for south of $500. I know exactly what marko's saying.

Archived