Hey drum guys, I've got a question for you (company reputation question):

fanuvbrak

• Members

I have a friend who's looking for cymbals and this guy's price is like $50 less than everyone else. Anyone ever deal with them?

Thanks for any info...

I've ordered from them, I've also returned stuff to them.

A little slower process than Musicians Friend, American Musical, or Interstate Music, but same idea.

• Members

I don't see much difference in pricing. The pacific kits are about the same as everywhere else...

Another thing to consider...

Whatever price someone can find, or be quoted for, you can take to Musician's Friend and they'll match it. I'm sure the others do it too, but since MF ships from Kansas City, MO, and I'm in Oklahoma...no reason to try the others.

• Members

Heard of 'em. Never ordered.

Certainly looks like they've landed some big-brand dealer deals.

Cymbal prices look competitive, though I'm not sure whose would be consistently $50 higher.

The fact that the first product in the cymbal section is a kick pedal doesn't reflect well on their in-house expertise.

• Members

Good luck with that.

The only decent drum shop in town charges 25% over MF's pricing.

And for what, honestly? Don't forget tax on top of that....

It is partly luck--you have to have a shop locally with whom you can work.

But, even if you have that it's also incumbent on the buyer to develop a relationship with them. You have to go in often, buy sticks, heads, whatnot, yack with the staff, get to know them and let them see you're serious and not a tire-kicker or, worse, one of these feckless crapweasels that tries out stuff in the shop and then buys online.

I'm extraordinarily lucky, I have such a shop nearby. I know the owner, I know the staff, and I regularly get better than online pricing on the big stuff--at least 50% off MSRP and sometimes more, because they know I'm gonna be back. You get little perks like when he gets some cymbals in that I'm interested in he'll hold them back and let me sift through them before putting them on the shelf. This past Christmas I got the kid a ride for $30 less than any online price I saw, and a double eliminator with about the same saving. Tax vs shipping is a wash.

So I pay a little more for sticks and heads, but in the end it's worth it.

In a perfect world such a shop would be in every neighborhood, but alas . . .

• Members

It
is
partly luck--you have to have a shop locally with whom you can work.

But, even if you have that it's also incumbent on the buyer to develop a relationship with them. You have to go in often, buy sticks, heads, whatnot, yack with the staff, get to know them and let them see you're serious and not a tire-kicker or, worse, one of these feckless crapweasels that tries out stuff in the shop and then buys online.

I'm extraordinarily lucky, I have such a shop nearby. I know the owner, I know the staff, and I regularly get better than online pricing on the big stuff--at least 50% off MSRP and sometimes more, because they know I'm gonna be back. You get little perks like when he gets some cymbals in that I'm interested in he'll hold them back and let me sift through them before putting them on the shelf. This past Christmas I got the kid a ride for $30 less than any online price I saw, and a double eliminator with about the same saving. Tax vs shipping is a wash.

So I pay a little more for sticks and heads, but in the end it's worth it.

In a perfect world such a shop would be in every neighborhood, but alas . . .

+100 You know the real deal on how it works. I had 2 drum shops that do the same for me (at least they used to) in Baltimore. Customer Service is worth the price of doing the business...

• Members

I had 2 drum shops that do the same for me (at least they used to) in Baltimore. Customer Service is worth the price of doing the business...

Which shops were they, please?

I liked Rosso's until the Rosso family sold the business. Mr. Rosso would order ANYTHING you wanted and give you the best price possible. The new owners couldn't bothered to order the Axis gear that I was trying to get.

• Members

Which shops were they, please?

I liked Rosso's until the Rosso family sold the business. Mr. Rosso would order ANYTHING you wanted and give you the best price possible. The new owners couldn't bothered to order the Axis gear that I was trying to get.

I PM'ed you the details...

• Members

Customer Service is worth the price of doing the business...

In many cases this is very true.

But you guys misunderstand me -- I'm not saying "go to your local shop" as much as I'm saying "find an independent shop to support."

I'm lucky to have a great 5-star drum shop an hour away and an okay one 15 minutes away. But if you don't, they all have websites. ANY of the shops in the 5-star network should be charging less than MF/GC on most items and if not they should be willing to match. The service level is worth it, and if you're ordering from, say, The Drum Shop in Portland Maine and you live in Virginia you aren't going to pay tax.

See what I mean?

• Members

Customer service is overrated, unless you like verbal handjobs while they pick your pockets clean.

The place that overcharges near me is exactly that.

Me, I know what I want before I hit the door. Part of the fun in it for me is researching what I'm after, and finding a good price on it.

Since I already know what I want, I don't need the verbal handjob. Since I'm looking for a good price, I'll call the place up, ask them to give me their best price on XYZ item, and if they can't touch it, I tell them thanks anyway, I'll get it from ABC store. I've even done them the benefit of saying I can get it for $$$, can you match it - they've never been able (or willing) to.

So, screw 'em.

They've tried the scare tactic too, saying that places that sell it cheaper are selling factory 2nd's and shit like that. LOL...ok.

Too bad the place I was buying from was also a dealer, one within the state, about 3 hours away. I told them about it, and he laughed, and said he's heard it before about that shop. I told the manufacturer about it too...

And both shops are considered "5-star"...

:facepalm:

• Members

When I wanted to buy heads for my kit, I didn't want to wait, so I went to the local shop. This is the kind of place you guys are talking about, great prices below what web retailers charge, a full stock that turns over quickly, and lots of expertise from the staff. I took lessons there, so I also had been in the store before.

As I'm ringing out, they asked me where I bought my kit (they are also a Mapex dealer), and then whipped out the catalog and the calculator and informed me that they could have sold it to me for $x less with the Pro M hardware kit, and that I should have came to them instead. With smug looks of condescension for my failure to shop for the rock bottom price, and all that fun stuff.

Now, I can understand why they weren't happy that I shopped elsewhere... but a) I was buying $125 in heads and hardware at the time, and b) how does it benefit their business to make potential new long term customers feel stupid? If they weren't such confrontational assholes I would have been more likely to do business with them on the kit, you know?

When they pulled that stunt, I decided not to ever go there again unless I had an emergency situation where I needed something for a gig and they were the only shop that had it. I have had similar experiences in many small, independent music stores. It's like the musician version of the guys from High Fidelity.

• Members

What can I say? I guess you guys just have bad luck with the shops. Here's where I'd recommend, along with the guys I deal with regularly:

The Drum Shop

Portland, ME

--talk to Shane

Dale's Drum Shop

Harrisburg, PA

--talk to Dave

Steve Weiss Percussion

Willow Grove, PA

Fork's Drum Closet

Nashville, TN

Any of these will have good prices and you will be treated well.

• Members

Customer service is overrated, unless you like verbal handjobs while they pick your pockets clean.

:facepalm:

Missed the point. Or mine, at least.

I get better prices than online.

I don't get a verbal handjob, I get a store owner who calls up the manufacturer to get me an accurate delivery date, who throws in a drop clutch gratis with an already better-than-online price on a double pedal, who lends me stuff to try out.

Takes more than a phone call.

• Members

Missed the point. Or mine, at least.

I get better prices than online.

I don't get a verbal handjob, I get a store owner who calls up the manufacturer to get me an accurate delivery date, who throws in a drop clutch gratis with an already better-than-online price on a double pedal, who lends me stuff to try out.

Takes more than a phone call.

That's all it took with another dealer...the one the local dealer bad-mouthed...

Honestly, I don't know how the local shop stays in business.

I called local dealer at some point asking about cases, to see what kind of deal they were doing. I listed off the sizes, he was able to guess the kit. He asked where I got it, I told him. He asked me why I didn't get it from them - I told them they charge too much. - he asked what I paid - I told him, and I told him I called them first and they were higher.

Turns out he called the other dealer and bitched them out for selling it cheaper than them, and "stealing" his customers....my sales guy said he laughed and said he'll sell kits to any customer that calls him....

• Members

I prefer being treated like a human being whether or not the staff agrees with me.
:idk:
I'm demanding that way, I guess.

I guess since i'm an asshole just like those guys, it sounds appealing. I'd love to watch them badmouth some dumbass who comes in looking for Hydraulics.

"Do you even LIKE tone?!?!"

Archived