V-Drum Kick Pads

aortizjr

• Members

What kick pads have you guys used and what feels the most natural?

Essentially my band is recording and the double kick drum is possibly the weakest point. Yeah we can edit it all. But with a kick pad we won't have any bleed into the rest of the kit, so we can edit much more easily. I just would hate to re-do takes because the kick-drums aren't as good as they could be and have to deal with artifacts everywhere else from editing.

Our drummer uses Axis double pedals which I assume he is going to be attached to. I assume there is a feel difference as well. We would probably use a DM5 for monitoring and take the midi from that. Or use a USB trigger IO and see if we can still use the DM5 for monitoring for minimal latency.

So far I am looking at the KD-7 which uses a bent beater to go backwards. How would that work with Double bass pedals? Can you use any pedal, just replace the beater, or do you have to use theirs? Also how does that feel?

Then also the KD-8, which stands up and looks like you just attach your pedal there. How does that feel though?

Of course there are others at $300+, but I don't want to go that route unless I have to.

TIA

• Members

Wow that looks pretty sweet! Thanks!

How would the pedals stay in place though? Won't it slide away since there is no kick drum to hold it down?

The other kick pads look like they have a stand that keeps it from moving forward.

And I guess for double-kick I would have to buy two of them?

• Members

Wow that looks pretty sweet! Thanks!

How would the pedals stay in place though? Won't it slide away since there is no kick drum to hold it down?

The other kick pads look like they have a stand that keeps it from moving forward.

And I guess for double-kick I would have to buy two of them?

For a double kick I am pretty sure you need two of them. You are going to want something to bounce off from... but that's what the bass drum is for. Just hook it up and muffle the crap out of it.

• Members

I have tried many of the triggers out there and was dissappointed with a lot of mis-triggering and having to tweak a multitude of parameters. I had to super-muffle the kick and be careful I didn't false trigger while hitting other drums.

Then I got Roland KD-8's and mounted them inside my kicks. They worked really well but after awhile they wore and response became an issue. I didn't notice for a long time because it was a slow process.

Then I got Axis pedals. Then I got the eKit triggers. They are absolutely the best IMO. You can leave your acoustic bass drum exactly like it is and use the triggered sound. There is absolutely no mis-triggering and you don't have to do anything to your acoustic kick if you don't want to. I personally have mine muffled a little more than I would if I were simply going to mic it but that is just my personal choice. The pedal can even act as a standalone trigger without anything else although for feel, playing on a "normal" kick drum is the most comfortable.

I highly recommend this setup for anyone who wants to trigger.

Archived