Suggest a mic setup for my kit please :)

TamaDrummer0

• Members

Well, I have always wanted to mic my kit, but I'm still a n00b on mics no matter how much I research them. So I'm asking you guys. I wana stay within a $400-500 range, or lower. I have a 5pc tama and 2 crashes, ride, china, and the hats. What mics/overheads should I use to mic my kit within my range also what mixer would be good with it too? That would help a lot. And yes I know theres tons of topics on mics, but I'm sorry I really need help.

• Members

Well, I have always wanted to mic my kit, but I'm still a n00b on mics no matter how much I research them. So I'm asking you guys. I wana stay within a $400-500 range, or lower. I have a 5pc tama and 2 crashes, ride, china, and the hats. What mics/overheads should I use to mic my kit within my range also what mixer would be good with it too? That would help a lot. And yes I know theres tons of topics on mics, but I'm sorry I really need help.

A lot can be done with a large-diameter condensor overhead, and a mic in the bass drum...

Check my clip for 3-mics.

• Members

I could easily throw together a mic setup for $500, but what are you recording into? Do you need a DAW or software? Do you already have software and/or an interface?

Just dropping $375 on mics you could get a GREAT setup with:

AKG D112 for kick - $140 on ebay

Shure SM57 for snare - $75 used on craigslist or ebay

(2) Groove Tubes GT-55 for Overheads - $80 each on ebay

That would allow you to do a killer "recorderman" mic setup. That being said, if you need a DAW we have to do some major rethinking to stay within the budget.

• Members

I prefer to keep it simple(maybe not as simple as Mr. Carroll), stereo condensors and kick mic(love the D6). If I need anything else I'll start with the snare then go to individual tom mics. Those Shure PG setups aren't too bad, you can find them with overheads for pretty cheap used.

Archived