Best bang for the buck for a beginner..

streetknight

• Members

Hey guys, I've asked stuff here for my son before, but now I'm thinking about tinkering around with the drums myself.

I have a budget of at the most $800-$1000 for everything.

Of my 2 local shops, one is a Tama dealer and the other a Gretsch dealer. I like the looks of the the Catalina Maple kits, but I know looks aren't everything.

They have the 6 piece Catalina Shell pack for $749 and a 4 piece jazz shell pack for $550. I haven't really looked at the Tama stuff.

Anyway, what size kit should I be looking for. 4, 5 , 6 piece, does it matter? What kind of Hardware and cymbals should I get.

You know all the stuff you guys answer on here everyday lol.

Thanks

• Members

Try Sonor 2007s (all Birch) or Sonor 3007s (all maple)

Great Drums and reasonably priced. You can check ebay for good deals on those and MF has closeout deals sometimes. You can get some decent pies

on ebay also. Used Zildjian A's. You want to buy something you won't need to upgrade in a year

• Members

Best bang for the buck.. Watch eBay and your local Craigslist for stage customs, and used cymbals. Used Zildjian A's wont cost too much, sound good, and don't have to upgrade later. Cymbals are more important than the drums IMO.

Yeah, when I was on the fence about buying some I missed a whole Stage Custom kit with cheap cymbals and hardware for $300, but I'm a guitar player, so I bought another guitar instead :facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, when I was on the fence about buying some I missed a whole Stage Custom kit with cheap cymbals and hardware for $300, but I'm a guitar player, so I bought another guitar instead
:facepalm:

Guitar player here as well, it's a hard choice sometimes, drums or guitar... New amp, guitar, pedal, or cymbal, it's a tough choice sometimes lol...

• Members

I had a Club Catalina Jazz kit for small setups. It was pretty decent for the money... but keep in mind, you're getting an 18" kick drum with that. You'll need a "riser" to use a pedal properly with it.

My advice for everyone starting out... you don't need something completely high-end, but always start at a point where you're not going to need to spend additional money in the near-future on an upgrade. It's MUCH more cost effective to start a few notches up the belt right away.

If you absolutely want a new kit and only have $1000 to spend, FIRST start with a decent kit!

If you want to stick to name brand instead of a boutique line like GMS, I would definitely pickup a Pacific Drum set.

Both these come with the hardware!!

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-X7-7-Piece-Drum-Set?sku=490516

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-FS-5Piece-Drum-Kit?sku=444821

Cymbals:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-ZXT-Rock-4Piece-Box-Set?sku=443914

----

Bottom Line: For about $1300, you've got yourself a full intermediate drumset with all the hardware and cymbals that you wouldn't feel embarrassed bringing to a show!

Archived