crash/ride suggestion?

cdawg

• Members

i play pretty heavy stuff, but it's dynamic too. i'm looking for a crash/ride that's medium/thin, i guess, that's pretty big (20-24"?) that has decent light bell action but can be induced to roar when rolling on the shoulders. i'd like to get it to do the same when i'm riding it on quarters aggressively. i currently have a thick 22" zildjian custom k that i love for the rock bell sound, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired. i don't want to pitch it, cuz it's cuts through rather nicely. i figure an additional would be suitable.

any suggestions out there?

• Members

Vintage Avedis Aildjian is where it's at. Cheap, they all sound good (just different from one another). You can buy one and flip it and try another one and flip it and go until you get a keeper. I have a couple of 18s on the way that will be up for sale, although that's smaller than you said.

I also have a vintage Sabian (pre-AA) 20" that does exactly what you're describing, but I've come to my senses about that one and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

• Members

Vintage Avedis Aildjian is where it's at. Cheap, they all sound good (just different from one another). You can buy one and flip it and try another one and flip it and go until you get a keeper. I have a couple of 18s on the way that will be up for sale, although that's smaller than you said.

I also have a vintage Sabian (pre-AA) 20" that does exactly what you're describing, but I've come to my senses about that one and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

+2 on that I picked one up a couple of months back from a seller on e-bay that LFG recommended and it is one sweet sounding bell, not nearly as loud as my 22" ping but that ping will get out of control if you let it! now the avedis you is like riding a go cart with a governor on it! you can stomp on it as much as you want to its gonna only give you so much! Just my highly unexperienced opp!

• Members

i play pretty heavy stuff, but it's dynamic too. i'm looking for a crash/ride that's medium/thin, i guess, that's pretty big (20-24"?) that has decent light bell action but can be induced to roar when rolling on the shoulders. i'd like to get it to do the same when i'm riding it on quarters aggressively. i currently have a thick 22" zildjian custom k that i love for the rock bell sound, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired. i don't want to pitch it, cuz it's cuts through rather nicely. i figure an additional would be suitable.

any suggestions out there?

I just picked up a Sabian 21" AAX Memphis Ride yesterday that sounds pretty good so far. I wanted something with a little more wash to compliment my HHX 21" Dry Ride (almost a ping ride) and could be crashed. It does all of that pretty well. The bell is ok, but not the greatest. If you can get as good a deal as I did ($165), it's definitely worth a listen.

• Members

I have a 19" avedis medium-thin crash with 3 rivets. I literally had a guy tonight tell me that this "ride" sounded like a crash, although he actually seemed more puzzled when I explained it was. I suppose it's all how you play it.

• Members

Well... This thread helped me out at least. I'm loving the sound of the armand 21" in the mycymbal.com video. I'll be going over to my local store with my crashes and seeing if it sounds similar there. Thanks ladies!

I ave the Armand 20" and it's great ride, but not much for crashing, it's LOUD.

• Members

The dream bliss 18" ride I have works well as a crash ride. It's a shame you can only buy the 18" bliss ride in stores, on line, it's only the crash/rides, but, that might work a little better if you intend to use it as more of a crash.

• Members

A 20 " 2002 medium would work very well for the situation cymbal you are looking for.They make a great crash and a nice washy ride as well.You could use it with your K Custom and they would sound very nice in tandem.

• Members

great! lots of good suggestions. off to ebay and the local drum store i go. as more of an explanation for my needs, as i said, i'm more of a heavy hitter. but being dynamic is my game, so i'm paying more attention to the jazz greats. locally (pgh, pa,) i can get hooked into some cool jazz clubs and good players. so, i've been incorporating these attitudes into the heavy stuff i play. metal doesn't have to be all about bashing, eh?

Archived