Music schools for live sound production

Parallex

• Members

So I'm graduating from Iowa State University in May with a degree in Animal Science and Preveterinary Medicine. I always thought I wanted to be a vet, but I think I have always been destined to be a musician regardless of all denial.

I used to want to be a recording engineer, but what I really love is running live sound. As of now, I am planning on attending Full Sail in Orlando for their Production and touring program. It looks like an awesome program. But a lot of people laugh at me like I'm an idiot for paying the hefty price: ~$35,000 for 13 months of school straight through and an associate's degree in production and touring. That is a gastly amount, but I'm passionate about my music and I also want to use that opportunity to be surrounded by other passionate musicians so I can create a serious band to find out once and for all if my music can make it like many people have been saying for a long time now. I'm basically going after my dream musically and professionally in the form of a career, and in 50 years from now I don't want to regret not spending $35,000 to have lived a lot happier life.

I want to know all my options though, and while I've heard good things from many people about Full Sail, it certainly sounds like you're paying for every ounce of experience you get. What other good schools are out there for live sound that would be comparable to the size of production that you'd be able to learn at full sail?

• Members

School of hard knocks. Read as much as you can on the subject, and go out and do it. I'm sure places are dying to get their hands on people willing to work. I know in my case, I have people calling me all the time, but they can't afford my prices... Here it's mostly churches that want you to be there from 5:00 - 12:00 on a Friday night and not get paid anything. You'd be surprised how many places are looking for real sound men that are passionate about the work. Call some clubs and work them, get a feel for the equipment.

Full Sail may be a good education, but nothing beats real experience. Save the $35K and do it yourself. Buy a small PA for $5000.00, (saving you $30K) and offer to run a few shows for free until you get the hang of it. Build from there.

• Members

the thing is, i'm in iowa, which is a musically dead zone. I want to do this as a career and tour on a major scale; the demand for that is actually very high right now. But everything we have here is mom and pop sound companies, there aren't any opportunities where I'd be able to actually have experience with large industrial lighting, effects, and pyrotechnics, and sound programs of the scale that I'd learn about at Full Sail. A lot of the stuff around here is small scale and thus I wouldn't have any opportunities to be exposed to the "big stuff."

Furthermore, I'd have to have a dayjob and do sound at night. The rate at which I'd learn anything to become very qualified would take quite awhile, as compared to going for 13 months and learning it all right there where you are in a musically condusive area and have exposure to the contacts that come with a school. And to repeat what I said earlier, there would be no opportunities for me to be able to learn and work with the equipment of the scale featured at Full Sail or another similar school. I've already considered the option of teaching yourself and i'm very motivated, but I want to do this beyond the club scene.

• Members

Parralex, If it is your location you are concerned with, start calling major cities where you can learn the trade, New York, or LA or something and see if you can get on as an intern or apprentice to one of the major companies, then move out there. You sound like you are ready to move to Florida as it is to go to full sail, so why not skip that and see if you can get in without the school. You may be surprised. If after making those calls, you are still unable to land the gig, then consider Full Sail, but I wouldn't jump on that as a first option. The expense doesn't really justify it to me.

• Members

MOF has given you some good advice. Full Sail has a great program but the reality is that alone will not guarantee you the job you are dreaming about. Large scale production companies and venues want 'experienced' help. Full Sail will definately help you get there faster but you are still going to have to spend some time in the trenches for little or no pay to beef up your resume before the big boys will take you seriously. Consider all of your options carefully before you shell out 35 grand. Best of luck.

• Members

Don't forget that the school is going to sell you hard on the idea of becoming a big-time engineer. They're not going to tell you about all the failures that wasted 35K. Ask for hard statistics on how many graduates are doing the kind of work you'd like to do. And I agree 100% that experience is everything. Some guy with a year or two of experience will get a gig over someone with just a degree. Talent and passion will take you to the top; a degree in this field is likely unnecessary. People want to know what you've done, not what you've studied.

• Members

Hey there's been some pretty good advice in here. So basically now I've decided that I don't even need to go to any school for sound engineering, because I'm finding I can get jobs so EASILY without it. I found a website that had a huge list of big soundcompanies in the US and started emailing all of them and within the same night, I got an email from a guy in Arizona with a nice company who said if I was ready to come down in May when I graduate then I should. He thought the Full Sail idea was huge bull{censored}, and he thought I'd actually have a harder time getting jobs with that because they'd all think I was full of bull{censored} myself. So whoever's idea it was back a few posts, it was a good idea and has thus worked well for me so far.

I realize--and am perfectly willing--to start in the trenches because I pretty much have to learn everything first, but the only bad part about that is the pay can be anywhere from 8-10 bucks an hour. Now if anyone has any suggestions on how I can live off that please feel free to shoot them out.

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

the pay can be anywhere from 8-10 bucks an hour. Now if anyone has any suggestions on how I can live off that please feel free to shoot them out.

Stay off the drugs and booze, buy a double burner hotplate for the road, cut your car payments and drive a reliable old gas saver, shop at St VIncent DePaul or Salvation Army, and tell the ladies they gotta pay their own way. Cut out 98% of your entertainment and put all that free time you'll have into what you're learning.

If you build road blocks in front of yourself, you won't go far. If you are serious, really serious, then the deprevation just eliminates things that stand between you and what you love.

On the other hand if you really need the new car, booze and swank clothes and gear - go with your university degree. That's what they're all about.

• Members

You'd be surprised how far $10.00 an hour can take you when you're starting out. Just remember to keep your expenses down and keep focus on your goal of working your way up the sound engineer ladder. Stay away from CREDIT unless you really need it. Once you get some experience under your belt, you can start subbing yourself out to do your own gigs for anywhere from $500.00 a pop and up.

One band I used to work with put a small 250 person system together for them to take to places. They broke up two years ago and the one member that owns the system now uses it to run sound for other small bands. He charges $250.00 a night for rental and his engineering fee. He is usually booked 5 nights a month or more. Not bad for a college student.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't lose hope, nor your focus on the goal.

• Members

There are threads like this all the time over in the recording & live sound forums.

Some helpful links:

Mix Online's list of Audio Education Programs

Thoughts on engineering as a career

I'm currently attending one of the community colleges listed on MixOnline's site (although our studio is better equipped than the description lets on). If you do go to school for this, I'd recommend trying to find a community or state college that teaches it. I love school and I love engineering, but I'd be hard pressed to justify spending $35000 on this education, especially considering the fact that your success really is dependent upon your motivation.

Actually, that's one of the things my recording teacher is trying to hammer home. This isn't like other disciplines where you can understand it from a book. This is mostly experiential, and as long as you have adequate guidance, you can get the experience.

-Dan.

• Members

Hey man,

Volunteering helped me get work in the bigger recording studios around town. I think Prince started his career running cables. If you're a super nice guy and have a good attitude which it sounds like you do, a lot of different production companies might consider showing you the ropes for free labor.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived