Any vintage drummers out there?

cdawg

• Members

Yup. Baltimore drums became Maryland drums.

I remember him in a small business right after Gordon Miller closed up. That must have been Baltimore Drums...I never knew the name of it...in north east Baltimore...Belair or Harford Rd...huh! Ya learn something every day!

• Members

As vintage drum geek [as well as guitars and everything else musical under the sun] I cringe at the prospect of extra holes and swapping out hardware.

I play a recovered set of late 50's Slingerlands in period correct wrap and they are wonderful sounding and perfect in every way but they are recovered. My band does everything from James Brown to Led Zeppelin to Audio Slave and back to Johnny Cash.

I have an amazing set of red onyx Rogers and took them out and the bass player complained they were TOO resonant, and he's a jazz nut, so go figure.

Rogers hardware is very expensive. If you're making an orphan/frankenstein set it will only have the utility value of something you have designed for yourself to play. Vintage guys will balk at it so it has no resale value other than that.

• Members

I cringe at the prospect of extra holes and swapping out hardware.

Rogers hardware is very expensive. If you're making an orphan/frankenstein set it will only have the utility value of something you have designed for yourself to play. Vintage guys will balk at it so it has no resale value other than that.

I'm not putting extra holes in 'em, and i found a good source for decent priced hardware. (lugs for $5-10/per) Not very interested in resale, just in having a custom vintage kit. thanks, tho!

• Members

yeah, shoulda gotten me one of those b.d. kits back then. custom work for off the rack pricing. can't find THAT today.

THIS JUST IN -- Keith is apparently going back to building Baltimore drums! I'm sure the pricing has gone up quite a bit, but they look as good as ever. You can see one of them on the results page for the Snare Drum Olympics: http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/SDO/

• Members
THIS JUST IN -- Keith is apparently going back to building Baltimore drums! I'm sure the pricing has gone up quite a bit, but they look as good as ever. You can see one of them on the results page for the Snare Drum Olympics:
http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/SDO/

well, he should offer me a kit for plugging his brand, after so many years. look at all the interest i've generated!!;)

• Members

LOL! Then I'm right there with you.

I don't think endorsements are his strong suit though. I once worked with a guy in a music store who said he "endorsed" Maryland Drums. The guy was a real jerk and not the brightest, and basically he said he got $4000 worth of drums for free for his band and studio.

Why then was he trying to work a deal on a new high end kit through the store? Um, no dood -- you bought the MD kit (maybe you got a discount), no one has ever heard of your band or your studio, and you're full of crap.

I think MD drums became overpriced before they went away and I hope the Balt line doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Archived