Snare batter head

xtranoise

• Members

Every snare drum (other than a POS) deserves to be tried, at least, with a coated ambassador. More recordings have been made with this head than all the others combined. You can get a lot of sounds out of it.

A coated G1 is a close second. Just as good, just different.

If I
really
can't get an ambassador to work, I try a CS (reverse dot). For some snares that really does the trick.

If you need more muffling than that on a snare you either need to be sent to the drummer re-education camp or get a new snare.

Sounds familiar... :lol:

• Members

Most of you guys will think this is blasphemy, but -- I don't even know what my snare head is. It's old. We play 2-3 gigs a week, three 1-hour sets. The head is probably two years old. I know it's an Evans head, it's frosted, and has a reverse dot. I had EC2 frosted heads on my toms, and if there's an EC snare head, that's what this is.

So why haven't I changed it? It just sounds good the way it is. It's got a ton of "pop" to it still, and if I need more crack, I turn up the bottom snare mic. But most important of all -- it's QUIET. I don't know if I can attribute this to the fact that it's old and worn out, or the fact that there's been so many shots of Jager spilled on it that it's just swimming in the rim. The head has all kinds of stains, some blue from the Blue Curacao, some brown from the Jager, some red from the bleeding from flailing around while drinking Blue Curacao and Jager. But it's so quiet that we get NO noise complaints at all. I could probably set up next to an old couple eating dinner and they'd say "my, what a quiet snare drum that is."

With a mic right on the drum head, it sounds like a snare drum. I'm using custom-molded IEMs, and we're running everything through a top-of-the-line (Meyer Sound) PA system. And in my earbuds, and out front, it sounds like a snare drum should sound. So... why "fix" it with a new head? Then I'll be loud again, and I'll be out fifteen bucks.

Archived