i met the cymbal ferry, i think...

cdawg

• Members

so, i posted some drum stuff on craigs, just lookin' to make some cash for a couple of cymbals and some scratch for the drum jam. i got one hit on this sabian china i just have grown to hate. it's not too bad, just not that good compared to my newer one. but anyway, this guy seemed pretty interested, and talked me down to $100 from $125. whatever, money is good, right?

so i meet him in this parking lot and it's this older guy, prob around early 70's. we b.s. about cymbals, of course, and some jazz (he's a big jazz cat,) and he clues me in to some cool spots, local. then, out of nowhere, he says,"you looking for anything in trade?" i tell him i'm kinda looking for a ride, and he pulls out this cymbal case with a host of cymbals in it. he yanks out this 20" wuhan medium ride and hands it to me. it's almost exactly what i've been looking for. and it's a wuhan. too funny. he suggests a straight-up, and i concur.

we continue on talking, he tells me about the zild dennis chambers sticks he's been trying, i say that i've been on 7a's myself lately, then he throws me a new pair, like the little kid with the game jersey in the mean joe green-pepsi commercial.

so, with the biggest smile on my face, i drove home (if i was a kid, i would have run,) and put together three pieces of my set, hi-hat and new ride, and dug in. it's f**kin' great! nice and subtle, controllable, but gets nice and trashey when you dig in. really nice decay. crashes well. don't think it'll replace my current ride, but i don't think i'll need a crash on the right anymore.

sorry this was long, it's just cool to run into someone like this after dealing with knuckleheads on craigs all the time. he was no b.s. and all class. :thu:

• Members

yeah, pretty funny. wuhan. i never entertained the wu in a store. they just never seemed worth it, or sounded quite right. but this one is all of what i said. it's not perfect, like, it's trashy instead of shimmery when you coax it with a roll, but man, all else is grand. the bell could be better, but at the price/trade, i'm pleased. it'll get way more play than my china was getting.

the dude pulled out a couple of other wuhan chinas he had, with rivets. they were smooth. a really nice splash and a thin 17" crash, both zild k's.

yeah, i was sad we couldn't talk more, but i needed to get home to play.

• Members

i see that that cymbal is only about $90 new on ebay, but i say fair trade, considering i never played the china. plus, i prob wouldn't have bought the wuhan, unheard. i'm gonna check out the jazz jam that guy was talkin' about on sunday. think i'm gonna take the girl to smooth things over a bit, considering i came home with a cymbal instead of money. oops.

• Members

I think you met a cymbal Fairy , a cymbal Ferry would be some kind of boat made of cymbals that is large enough to drive cars onto.

Both are pretty damn cool.

:facepalm:

i knew it didn't look right. damn. either way, he was a cool guy.

oh, and i hate you for pointing out my imperfections.:mad:

Archived