Speaking of mounting BS.

Cross Eyed Mary

• Members

I saw a Cindy Blackman clinic yesterday. BOTH of her racks were on snare stands. Tone for days, beautiful Gretsch tone oozing from the shell.

So suck on THAT, RIMS.

Oh yeah?!! Well I can get oozing tone out of MY RIMS mounted Gretsch and position that sucker damnear WHEREVER I WANT.

So there!

:D

• Members

I have my mounted tom in a snare stand and I can't hear much of a difference with a rims mount. As long as you don't tighten the stand so much that it chokes the drum there's barely any difference, plus it looks a hell of a lot cooler. Just my opinion.

+1 on that. I have my rack on a snare stand and it sings! The problem I have with a RIMS mount is that I have to connect to a cymbal stand, which in turn forces me to have my cymbal in a spot I don't like. The snare stand is definitely the way to go for me.

• Members

Hmmm, I was thinking about getting another snare stand for my 12" rack tom...I currently just use a 13". I don't exactly trust the bass drum mount on my Standards. Was it a great clinic though?

Excellent clinic, did a mini history of jazz and then shredded her ass off. She gets REALLY into it. On the ride home my boss said "Well i learned at least one thing, i don't make enough faces when i play!".

• Members

man, as BD can verify, i tuned up my tom reeeeaal nice (not the floor tom, tim,) and lightly placed it on my snare basket, no "clamping it down," and it completely went flat. dead, dead, dead. just 3 points touching the bottom rim, and it's done. i'm going to those pearl mounts that melvin has. my shells are pretty damn thin, but, hell.

• Members

man, as BD can verify, i tuned up my tom reeeeaal nice (not the floor tom, tim,) and lightly placed it on my snare basket, no "clamping it down," and it completely went flat. dead, dead, dead. just 3 points touching the bottom rim, and it's done. i'm going to those pearl mounts that melvin has. my shells are pretty damn thin, but, hell.

Yeah I have got the same problem. I have my 13" on a snare stand and although I like the way it looks and feels It sounds very flat. It does help when I put the feet into the groove of the flanged hoop.

• Members

I was reading through this and thought the SAME thing. That tom was singing in your hand.When you put it on the snare stand it just DIED !

• Members

yeah, i think i'm gonna sell off that kit and put some money into those rogers shells. i'm thinkin' about skipping the wrap job and just getting into the build. i'm no longer caring about the prettiness. just wanna slap some lugs on and go.

i think those gretsch shells are just too thin.

• Members

Piss on a snare stand,depending on what type thickness the hoops are,those toms will sing a flat tone.

Archived