GG-Quorum Call

Carminemw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carmine:

Yep Yep, I'm still here, still playing, still hobbled by right hand problems. I might not come in a lot for a while because Winter is on her way here, so I'm getting a couple of drum projects ready to go to keep me sane, namely building a snare from scratch and an old wood shell I found in the basement, As well as trying to delve into the Holy Book Of Drummers ( Stick Control by George Stone...what a fabulous book to apply to all areas of the kit!!:thu: ) as well as continuing to work on my technique to try and avoid surgery on my hand.

In better news though, The band I'm in ( GYPSY) just recently put out our Debut CD. Its called ' Smalltown Fables', we released it on October 10 this year. We pressed 200 copies, and here it is almost Halloween and we're down to about 50 left! We recorded it in the Guitar players Living room last year, and the release party went over like gangbusters. We' not ' squaring the circle' here music or genre wise, mostly blues/rock with some folk rock thrown in for spice.

There's no illusions here about this, at least, we wanted to break even, which we've done. We're all old enough to realize what's what, but at least now all of us can say that we actually recorded and pressed and SOLD a CD. That's off my bucket list. 1 down, 5000000 things to go......

Anyway, Carmine, I'm still here, still playing as hard as I can, and still loving to play. What other reason is there to do so??

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

• Members

Bingo!!! OK Tell us your story and playing history and you'll be officially indoctrinated into the Geezer Guild...I'll put you on a certificate as well.
:thu:

true this, you don't have to be an old fogy, just have to be someone with some experience and skills that you are able to write about and skills or experiences that you can pass down. Playing drums for 22 years and the tales of those years count as qualifing for the gezzer guild!! Join today and share the tales! :thu:

• Members

true this, you don't have to be an old fogy, just have to be someone with some experience and skills that you are able to write about and skills or experiences that you can pass down. Playing drums for 22 years and the tales of those years count as qualifing for the gezzer guild!! Join today and share the tales!
:thu:

32yrs, my math was a tad short.:facepalm: actually don't consider myself an old fogy really.:lol:

I'm happy to share story's, skills, and any experience I have with anyone. I've been active on this forum contributing when I can.

Where would you like me to start?

• Members

what is the criterion for the original member list and maybe the "geezer apprentice" list? im now almost 24 and have been playing for 13 years. What do I need to do? I need to fell like I am part of somthing :cry: ok it isn't that big of a deal but for those of us who are wondering... wtf is up?

• Members

im so messed up from this that I put "fell" where feel should have been jeez!

Well Dan, you can join Fitch , Mikey and the younger generation. They are dedicated players with some years on them but not quite made it to the plaid hat, pipe and reading spectacles crew...:p They are the apprentices so to speak and great players in their own right...

You need to share your story about how long, where and why you've been playing. That's all there is to it...this is about drummers dedicated to omproving and carrying on the art of drumming. I'll post the history of the GG again if I can find it some place...

• Members

32yrs, my math was a tad short.
:facepalm:
actually don't consider myself an old fogy really.
:lol:

I'm happy to share story's, skills, and any experience I have with anyone. I've been active on this forum contributing when I can.

Where would you like me to start?

at the beginiing of course...:badump::poke:

• Members

at the beginiing of course...
:badump:
:poke:

knew you were going to say that....

let me think about how to cram 32yrs of playing into a couple of paragraphs...

My family came to NZ when I was 10yrs old from Scotland. Prior to coming to NZ all I wanted for Christmas was a piano accordion...loved them.

Anyway on the plane trip between London and LA my father mentioned that some geezer called Ringo Starr was sitting a few rows ahead of us and that he was a drummer...:idk:

I wandered up the rows to be nosy as you do as a kid, anyway this cool looking geezer saw me staring and said hello.

I scurried back to mum and dad.

That event fuelled my curiosity/interest in drums. From then on I began to take more interest in drums and put my desire for a piano accordion aside.:lol:

I discovered Cozy Powel, Ian Paice, John Bonham and the two drummers in the Glitter Band (names escape me). I was hooked, I pestered my parents for two years for a drum kit and lessons.

My parents surprised me for my 12th birthday and bought me a used Premier 1965 4pce kit in Blue Pearl with Zildjian cymbals (i still have the cymbals).

A family friend started giving me lessons once a week.

I also joined the school jazz and concert bands who had a very good reputation here and often won school comps. I started playing snare big time and joined the local brass band.

During this time I also entered local snare drum comps and won the local one and came 5th in the nationals.

The jazz band played at a national jazz festival every year I was at school, along with the school and marching stuff I was hankering to play some rock.

I joined my first covers band at 15 and began playing in local pubs with my parents support.

Along those formative years I played in pit bands also with shows at the local theatre's...cabaret, Oklahoma etc that kind of thing.

I got some gigs for a popular children's show here at the time called "The Buzz O Bumble Show" :lol:

Began doing some radio jingles and studio work for local musicians.

When I was 18 I quit school and took my drums to Hong Kong where I played in bars, clubs and hotel shows etc., then on to the UK where I actively gigged an assortment of gigs around Glasgow, Scotland. Recorded some stuff with a few bands that didn't claim the success they were craving, anyway I spent two years doing that and came back to NZ.

Once back in NZ I hooked up with a promoter and spent the next couple of years travelling around NZ in backing bands for touring acts...in fact did a few gigs with an American guy called Herb McQuay(not sure if he was known in US). Playing club and pub gigs in and around my city when I was in town (which wasn't often).

Around this time I fell in love and made the decision to quit touring. Long story short I went back to school got a degree etc etc etc

I took on some drum students and did some teaching to supplement things while back at school.

Other than a couple of years slowing down with gigging I haven't stopped playing since I was 12yrs old and I don't ever envisage stopping.:)

Right now I'm playing in a Blues Band, and at the rehearsal stage with a more Rock orientated band. I rarely play jazz these days, but would like to with the right guys.

I play Pdp Platinums, Zildjian cymbals, Demon Single Pedal, Vic Firth sticks and Remo and Aquarian heads. Mix of Pearl/Pdp hardware.

Pheeewwww...is that enough. Hope you read between the lines.:lol::wave:

• Members

knew you were going to say that....

let me think about how to cram 32yrs of playing into a couple of paragraphs...

My family came to NZ when I was 10yrs old from Scotland. Prior to coming to NZ all I wanted for Christmas was a piano accordion...loved them.

Anyway on the plane trip between London and LA my father mentioned that some geezer called Ringo Starr was sitting a few rows ahead of us and that he was a drummer...
:idk:

I wandered up the rows to be nosy as you do as a kid, anyway this cool looking geezer saw me staring and said hello.

I scurried back to mum and dad.

That event fuelled my curiosity/interest in drums. From then on I began to take more interest in drums and put my desire for a piano accordion aside.

I discovered Cozy Powel, Ian Paice, John Bonham and the two drummers in the Glitter Band (names escape me). I was hooked, I pestered my parents for two years for a drum kit and lessons.

My parents surprised me for my 12th birthday and bought me a used Premier 1965 4pce kit in Blue Pearl with Zildjian cymbals (i still have the cymbals).

A family friend started giving me lessons once a week.

I also joined the school jazz and concert bands who had a very good reputation here and often won school comps. I started playing snare big time and joined the local brass band.

During this time I also entered local snare drum comps and won the local one and came 5th in the nationals.

The jazz band played at a national jazz festival every year I was at school, along with the school and marching stuff I was hankering to play some rock.

I joined my first covers band at 15 and began playing in local pubs with my parents support.

Along those formative years I played in pit bands also with shows at the local theatre's...cabaret, Oklahoma etc that kind of thing.

I got some gigs for a popular children's show here at the time called "The Buzz O Bumble Show"

Began doing some radio jingles and studio work for local musicians.

When I was 18 I quit school and took my drums to Hong Kong where I played in bars, clubs and hotel shows etc., then on to the UK where I actively gigged an assortment of gigs around Glasgow, Scotland. Recorded some stuff with a few bands that didn't claim the success they were craving, anyway I spent two years doing that and came back to NZ.

Once back in NZ I hooked up with a promoter and spent the next couple of years travelling around NZ in backing bands for touring acts...in fact did a few gigs with an American guy called Herb McQuay(not sure if he was known in US). Playing club and pub gigs in and around my city when I was in town (which wasn't often).

Around this time I fell in love and made the decision to quit touring. Long story short I went back to school got a degree etc etc etc

I took on some drum students and did some teaching to supplement things while back at school.

Other than a couple of years slowing down with gigging I haven't stopped playing since I was 12yrs old and I don't ever envisage stopping.
:)

Right now I'm playing in a Blues Band, and at the rehearsal stage with a more Rock orientated band. I rarely play jazz these days, but would like to with the right guys.

I play Pdp Platinums, Zildjian cymbals, Demon Single Pedal, Vic Firth sticks and Remo and Aquarian heads. Mix of Pearl/Pdp hardware.

Pheeewwww...is that enough. Hope you read between the lines.
:lol::wave:

That's all we needed...WELCOME into the GG fraternity so to speak. There have been lots of guys here asking about the Platinums...hope you chime in regularly with them. First hand knowledge always wins over general research and market hype. I shall add you name into our fold...TANKS!!! I think you oght to start a Drum Jam in NZ. I'd love to see you're countryside!:thu:

• Members

Thanks Carm, might use it as my avatar fro a while in recognition of my appreciation of your appreciation.

p.s. when do I get my Bus Pass

sorry ...no pass, but definitely a laurel and hardy handshake!

laurel.jpg

oh look...a 7000 post milestone as well:thu:

Archived