Cymbal packs legit?

lalapancakes

• Members

Okay so I posted here recently about getting a whole new drumset/cymbals but then everyone convinced me to just focus on cymbals first (implus my drumset is good anyway). So I've decided to upgrade from my terrible Sabian B8 cymbals.

My dad is going to pay for a majority of it because he promised me as a little child if I stuck to playing my drums he would buy me better cymbals. So I took his word and told him that he has to get to me new cymbals (lol I'm a spoiled brat).

Firstly I wanna ask one thing first. I have an AA metal-x sabian china cymbal. I think it's the only cymbal I have that's fine. Do you think I should upgrade that to or is it fine? I mean it's a 200$ cymbal and I think it sounds good the way it is.

Next I was wondering I actually do want to get decent cymbals. I've been playing for about 8 years now so I'm not a newb (we'll for my age I'm not, but some have you here have been playing for 20+ years). I'm going to go out and try cymbals at a local guitar center soon but before I do I want to get a ballpark range of how much this is going to cost. And I noticed buying cymbals in packs is way less expensive. But my question is, should I stay away from packs, or are some packs legit?

EDIT: All great posts. I forgot to post what type of music I play. I play Rush a lot and I play jazz to. I'm not really into "bashing" the cymbals, honestly I can't stand drummers who do that. I'm not into metal (except proggressive metal like dream theater or Between the buried and me) or punk either at all.

I got a B8 cymbal pack as my first cymbals and it was around 150$ I think. So I know to get a decent pack it's probably going to be atleast maybe 300? I don't exactly know what do you guys think? What's your experience with cymbal packs yay or nay?

• Members

Cymbal packs are good if they have the cymbals you're looking for. IE: If you're looking for 14" hats, 22" ride, and a 16" crash, and you find a pack of a line of cymbals you love with those sizes. Like, I'd buy an AAX pack.

Right.

But you'd be immensely better off going to a drum shop and listening to lots of different cymbals to see what you like. Then you should leave without buying anything. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Listen lots, buy once.

Re: the Saluda comment above -- I think that would only be smart if you know what kind of sounds you want. Also you have to recognize that Saludas will have very little resale and should you want to change your sound later you'll have a hard time selling.

• Members

I would take your time. Go into a dealer that has a good selection from more than one cymbal company. Don't go in with any preconceived notion of what you want. All of the big three, and several smaller companies make great cymbals. The one thing to consider is what type of music you'll play the most. If you're going to be bashing, stay away from small, thin, and dark sounding cymbals. They won't cut and you'll destroy them. Focus on one part of your set-up at a time (ride, crash, or hats). Play a few cymbals and then take a break. Your ears will burn out after awhile and you won't be able to hear the subtleties of the cymbals. Have someone els play to cymbals while you stand a few feet away. You'll get a whole different perspective from there.

The most important thing. BUY WITH YOUR EARS! Don't pay attention to what it says on the cymbal. Don't be afraid to mix lines within a single company, or to mix cymbals from more than one.

• Members

The pack of As I got a while back worked out very well. Got a good deal & the cymbals matched tones well, but I'm guessing that almost all As match well.

Anybody know why there are no Zild K packs? Is each cymbal so unique that they would be hesitant to pair them up for anybody?

• Members

not a bit of bad advice here.

My $.02: Unless you have very particular tastes in cymbals, a prepack might give you the best bang for your peso. a wholesale upgrade on your folks' dime can help develop your taste in sounds too.

save money now before you get too picky. then get a {censored}ing job.

• Members

I find nothing wrong with pre-packs. That said, I have never bought one.

If, hypothetically, I had to throw together a complete, playable, professional quality set of cymbals for a rock player I'd never met, I'd probably buy a Zildjian A Custom or Sabian AA package. Like : this

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Members

I think it would be better to buy your cymbals one by one, and hear them first. My teacher, Carmine taught me that every cymbal sounds different, get like a Sabian AAX ride and another Sabian AAX ride, same size and all, and they will both sound slightly different. Find the ones that best suite what you're looking for. My dad did buy me a pack of the Sabian AAXs that I use, and they aren't bad at all, but its better to hear them first.

• Members

Every now and then, Musicians friend has a 20% off deal.

My suggestion: try out cymbals @ a music store until you find what sounds

good to you. Check out prices....go online to MF, check out their prices

and wait for a sale. OR....wait for the MF 20% and buy a Zildjian A pre

pack for $650-20%=$520.

Archived